XIV

Let brotherly love continue.

- Hebrews 13:1

He held me for an instant

But his arms felt safe and strong

It only takes a moment

To be loved a whole life long.

- "It Only Takes a Moment", Hello, Dolly!

"Anneth, don't leave!" cried Amarwe helplessly from where she was pinned to the ground

"Laineth, come along, we must find Ada or Voronen!" urged Anneth, picking Laineth up in her arms easily, her steps turning to a run.

"Laineth, please stay with me!"

Anneth did pause for a moment, tears in her eyes, turning to face her littlest sister. "Amarwe, worry not, I shall return, I cannot leave Laineth here with you!"

"But can't you–can't you–pick it up yourself!" the elleth choked out through her incessant sobs.

Anneth's heart seemed to break in two that very moment, and tears streamed down her face. "I will find help, Amarwe. I cannot lift the log myself, else I would have done it already."

Amarwe only continued to cry from the pain and the hurt of being abandoned by the older sister she both loved and admired.

The tears only fell down Anneth's face quicker as she turned and fled as fast as her legs might take her, even as she carried Laineth. Each cry from Amarwe that met her ears sent a stab of hurt and sadness through her heart, and fervently she prayed that she would move quickly enough to ensure Amarwe would not be injured severely.

The three sisters had been playing in the trees near their home, when one of large trees collapsed, falling where Amarwe had been seated, pinning her leg down and crushing it. There had been no sign that any danger would meet them, and yet it did. Anneth wept, for it so seemed that it was within her power to ensure the tree would fall not, and her spirit was distressed, for Amarwe had been placed under her care. She had been trusted to care for her younger sisters and had failed in her task.

"Anneth!" came Amarwe's desperate cry from behind her, and her voice resounded in Anneth's mind.

Sooner than she believed that she would, she stumbled upon her brother, and through her tears told him the tale of their plight.

Voronen took Laineth from Anneth's arms and pushed his sister to explain all that had happened.

"A tree fell–fell on Amarwe, and now she cannot get up. I cannot-cannot move the tree! Voronen you must do something."

Calmly, Voronen nodded, though his heart broke also to hear of his youngest sister's plight.

"Take me to her," said he, a slight, barely detectable waver in his voice.