XV

My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

- 1 John 3:18

In my life

There's been no one like him anywhere

Anywhere, where he is

If he asked

I'd be his.

- In My Life/A Heart Full of Love, Les Miserables

What does love in its highest and purest form look like? What are its characteristics?

Should one characterise love as a feeling and emotion, or would better accuracy be found in describing it as a choice and an action?

Feelings are deceitful, they disregard what is so blatantly true and forsake any good reason or wisdom, therefore, love is no feeling.

A choice to put one's own desires and needs last and place the needs of others above their own is a noble choice, and this is what love is.

That any soul would lay down their life for their friends is love, unselfishness, the sort of actions that determine heroism. These heroic deeds and true acts of love are what bring us encouragement in dark times, in days when evil grows strong like a deprived lion, ravaging and looming in the distance, readying its strike in which it will destroy the hopes of all, dashing hearts into pieces that cannot be recovered. When our dreams are threatened by the darkness, we take hope from the heroism that this prevails.

When we see love in its great forms, and in the simple, beautiful forms also, we can take courage, for love is the greatest thing in our world, the only thing we truly live for. Without it, surely shall our world fall, and hope will die, faith shall disappear.

If love should be absent, then there is no more purpose to our living, no meaning to our struggle to eradicate evil if ever we could.

Yes, without love, meaningless is our life, and there is no reason for us to continue on, and it would be best we merely quit and cease to fight evil and better ourselves.

Faith, hope, and love are among the highest virtues, the things that hold us together, and love is the greatest of these.

As darkness pours from the mouth of evil, and the Enemy strengthens himself in his dark fortress, there is little hope to found. It seems clear that there is no victory against his endless armies of foul creatures and pure malice. The free peoples are few in number when placed beside the myriad of egregious soldiers the Enemy holds and breeds, but the side of good has that which the darkness does not.

Evil does not know love, nor is it acquainted with faith and hope. It knows only hate, malice, darkness, enmity, and rancor, all of which we strive to avoid, all of which look to end what power love holds and fail. They fail, for they cannot know the power that love has, and true love fails not, and never does it end. It endures through darkness, through pain, forgives and covers many wrongdoings, remembering not the many faults of others.