XII

The greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances.

- Martha Washington 

The Lord is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.

- Lamentations 3:25

Voronen smiled and yanked his sister's braid in a rather obnoxious manner, laughing as his youngest sister reached back to strike him in the face

When her blow missed, even harder he laughed, collapsing onto the ground, and against a nearby tree he leaned. An angry kick he received soon afterward, undeniably from the foot of Anneth, his favourite sister.

Or so he told her.

He told Amarwe also that she was his favourite sister, and Laineth as well. Each of his sisters were under the false impression that they were counted his favourite, and Voronen believed he had them fooled. Unfortunately for the ellon, the intelligence of his younger sisters he underestimated, for they each were quite aware of their brother's foolish and rather rude schemes, mostly due to the wonderful intuition of Anneth, who smugly informed her younger sisters of Voronen's petty ways.

Anneth, Laineth, and Amarwe all had agreed to speak to their mother of this, solely to see Voronen receive a fiery lecture from their mother, who, in a general sense, was a lovely and sweet elleth, unless she was called upon to handle her deceiving children.

Her daughters were not as prone to silly actions and deception, as her only son was, and Lindeth was sure she might age as men do from his utter ridiculousness. She understood not how her son could be so foolish and know full well of his foolishness and engage in it still. It simply was laughable, the actions Voronen indulged in with his sisters, such as frightening them with horrifying insects, and attempting to employ discord between them.

Fortunately for the young ellon, the former was exceedingly successful and led to countless screams from the ellith of Voronwe's household, and unfortunately for him, the latter never was accomplished and often led to an impassioned lecture from his mother, and a painfully calm and collected expression from his father as he discussed why deception was unacceptable as long as Voronen lived under his father's roof and afterward also.

Yet he loved his sisters, though he be the bane of their existence at times, and other times proving himself to be an enraging, irritating being.

And as he now pulled on the braid of his littlest sister, facing the consequences of a decidedly ungracious kick, he reveled in the pure hilarity of his sisters' responses, even as he dreaded the lecture he was sure to receive.

"Voronen what drives you to such ridiculous ways! I know not how you shall ever find yourself a bride!" Anneth exclaimed, whilst she busied herself in fixing poor Amarwe's mussed up braid. "Half of an hour I spent on that braid, and now you have ruined all my life's work," she bemoaned.