XXII

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

- Isaiah 55:8-9

The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, and forgetting that you are special too.

- Ernest Hemingway

"Goodbye, Ada!" chimed a little elfling from the doorway, struggling to maintain a cheerful expression though her heart broke within her

Her father turned back, observing the fear and sadness deep in her eyes, and he smiled to himself. The love of a child was so pure and innocent, so precious. He strode back to where she sat forlornly on the steps of the house, taking his little daughter in his arms.

All the fear that had waxed strong in her melted away, and her small arms went round his neck, nearly strangling him.

"Now, Anneth," he gently said, "I will return. You will manage with Nana."

Anneth's lips smiled, but her eyes grew wider still.

"But what if you don't come back?" she inquired, large grey-green eyes bewildered. "Nana," called she, "what if Ada doesn't return?" Tears filled her eyes, and she clung weakly to her father.

Her mother came out, heart warmed by the sight before her. "Voronwe, I thought you were departing now."

Voronwe smiled at his wife, then at his daughter. "I was, only Anneth was frightened. I would not leave her in such a state."

"You will come back, Ada?"

"Yes, iell, I shall. I swear it."

"Ada, Nana says swearing is bad!"

He chuckled, gently tugging on Anneth's small braid. "Alright then, henig, I promise you I will return."

The answer given him was a bright grin from his only daughter, along with a sloppy kiss on the cheek. He kissed her forehead and tossed her in the air once, catching her easily. Anneth gasped and then giggled, hugging her father's neck tightly.

And so went Voronwe's daily routine each morning as he departed. Anneth would sadly watch him leave, he would turn and promise to come back, and she would reprimand him for swearing.

This went on for as long as Voronwe could promise to return to his wife, son, and daughter, long enough to see the birth of another daughter. Yet soon he no longer could swear to return, for outside Imladris, no protection or safety could be guaranteed.

Voronwe was assigned to supervise the patrols outside Rivendell's borders, thrice each week. And when he departed on each of those days, he could not bring himself to make a promise he may not be able to uphold. In truth, he never could promise to return, for there are none that can.