XVII

Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

- Psalm 27:14

Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear:

- Isaiah 59:1

We have to be braver than we think we can be, because God is constantly calling us to be more than we are. 

- Madeleine L'Engle

"You are hopeless, sister," Voronen informed his younger sister

She glared at him and flung the wooden sword at his midsection with all her might.

He fell backwards.

"There is always hope, Voronen," she counseled in a condescending tone. "It is you who are hopeless, brother, for never shall you convince any elleth to bind themselves to you."

"And you shall never find any ellon who willingly takes an elleth who is unable to wield a sword as a wife."

"You are disgustingly ridiculous," Anneth answered There are plenty of ellith who cannot wield a sword, brother, and many of them have married."

"Someday you shall be caught in a fight and you will know nothing of any weapon, and it is most likely that you shall not even keep one with you. You will perish that day, all due to your blatant incompetence and inability to learn any combat skills."

"I can hit someone well, if I must defend myself."

She rolled her eyes.

"That you can, but that is all."

Again Voronen was met with the piercing glare of his younger sister, her green eyes more angry and blazing.

He laughed.

Anneth groaned in an irritatedly, running her hands over her face and pushing the hair from her eyes.

"Why do you find it necessary to be so utterly rude?"

Voronen merely shrugged, smiling rather arrogantly, knowing that he was irritating his sister greatly.

"You are horrible."

Voronen laughed again, even as Anneth continued to scowl at him.

"I despise you," she said, now attempting to hold back the laughter that wished to pour from her mouth. Watching her brother laugh only made her want to laugh also and her angered countenance faded and she laughed now, breaking her mask of hate.

"You are laughing, therefore, now I do know that you do not despise me. But I despise you yet."

"Oh, whatever have I done to you, Voronen?" she asked, imitating the hurt tone of a whining child.