XXI

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

- I Thessalonians 5:18

There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the Lord, that shall stand.

- Proverbs 19:21

The course of true love never did run smooth.

William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Birds sang cheerily, their joyful melodies drifting through the light spring breeze, the flowers swaying to each high note the birds sang

Birds sang cheerily, their joyful melodies drifting through the light spring breeze, the flowers swaying to each high note the birds sang. The Sun shone bravely in the blue sky, her rays glinting off the stone arches of Imladris, and each sunbeam illuminating a once dim corner of the Hidden Valley.

'Twas a seemingly ordinary day, yet such a suggestion would be far from the truth, for ordinary days no longer existed in these perilous times.

Full of fouls things had the world become, for Sauron ruled from him dark tower in Barad-dur, his evil threatening to bring all of Ennorath under his dominion in one powerful strike. He was ready. If the free peoples were to ignore his threat, they faced immediate annihilation. But not a single soul lived that would willingly accept such a fate.

The Children of Iluvatar, the Men and the Elves formed an alliance, purposing in their hearts to end Sauron, to gain liberty from the evils he spread all about them.

Every able bodied man and elf was armed by his own people, troops were formed, armies established. The High King of the Noldor, Gil-galad, led his forces, his ever faithful herald Elrond of Imladris by his side.

It was them that a young Voronwe admired, it was them that he now followed into war.

As every young ellon's dream is, Voronwe's was. Marching into battle, slaying orcs, becoming a renowned hero. Then does it seem most grand and an envied stage to play on, that is, until war truly meet you. Yes, Voronwe had long dreamed of this, yet now, he wished that war had never come upon them. Gone were the dreams of being a hero. His death would come quickly, and with that he would leave the life he had built for himself behind. The hopes and dreams Voronwe had aspired to would collapse, crumbling into innumerable pieces of broken wishes.

Maybe if he had never known Lindeth the march would prove easier. She consumed most of his thoughts as his feet carried him nearer to his probable death. Perhaps it would not be so painful if never had he confessed his love, if he never asked her to marry him, if she had not agreed so happily, tears streaming down her cheeks and a heart stopping smile gracing her lovely face.

Yet even now, Voronwe could not imagine a life without her. If he was to die without marrying her, he would be thankful for the time they had been blessed with, even if it was not sufficient.

That morning had the birds chirped gladly, as was their routine, but there was little to call routine about that morning. Voronwe rose much earlier, ate little, and readied himself for the journey. Moments before he departed, Lindeth rushed up to him, weeping, though she would not beg him to stay. The choice was his, and she was glad to know that the ellon she loved was selfless and cared less for his own life than the good of the world. He had kissed her once, tears of his own slipping down his face.