I

He that can have patience can have what he will.

- Benjamin Franklin

It is good for a man that he bear the yoke in his youth.

- Lamentations 3:27 

A little girl lay on her stomach, drawing two figures in the dirt by the doorstep of her home

One of her dirt figures was slender, with long, flowing golden hair and striking blue eyes, her gown flowing about her like the daintiest of streaming waterfalls. The other was tall and broad shouldered, his lean figure clad in shining armour, deep blue eyes gleaming with life and love. He knelt on one knee, clasping the first figure's hand in his, making some lovely declaration of affection and intentions of forever.

Now, this was all in the small girl's mind, for there only were a few scratches in the dirt that were barely discernible as elves. Yet even from her young age she dreamed. Her dreams were broad, not only of love, but of adventure and simple happy memories.

She dreamed her house was really a wonderful mansion, with chambers that would rival the magnificent ones of the famed Elvenking.

And then her thoughts took another turn, and she dreamed of meeting the Elvenking himself, seeing his large halls and wonderful forest. Many things had she heard of Greenwood, and not all was pleasant. It was said that a sickness had claimed a few of the trees near the old fortress Amon Lanc, and that the spirits of the trees were uneasy, and even, ill.

But it yet was said to be a beautiful place, so she added to an imaginary list of places she might wish to visit.

What did his crown look like? wondered she.

"I wonder if he has a son," she mused aloud, dragging her small fingers through the dirt.

"If who has a son, Anneth dear?"

The voice startled her, and the elfling jumped in surprise.

"Oh, the Elvenking, Nana!"

"He does, I believe he is called Legolas. Why do you inquire after such a fact, iell?" her mother replied.

"Oh, I was only wondering," came Anneth's cheery reply, and her mother left Anneth to her own devices

Now Anneth spent not all her days in airy dreams and thoughts. Not in these days, no. She was young and small, and delighted in childish things such as dolls and trinkets. Pretty little things often caught her eye, as did anything that appeared remotely strange.

Kicking her legs in the dirt, Anneth looked up toward the sky, wondering now what the clouds thought. Fanciful thoughts seemed to be all that flew through the little elleth's mind, and many would believe she was without any sense. But still she was young, and the content of her character would be proven by how her parents raised her.