XX

Can a woman forget her nursing child, and not have compassion on the son of her womb?

Surely they may forget, yet I will not forget you.

- Isaiah 49:15

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Why are you joining the blasted patrol when there is naught to patrol?"

"Oh, it is not 'blasted,' dear sister, and really, I do not understand why you are making the largest fuss out of all this. There are no threats that may take my life anytime soon."

Anneth groaned, wishing to strike her brother right across his jaw.

The stupid ellon had gone and joined the patrol, and Anneth found it completely useless and ridiculous, for she believed there was nothing to worry of outside their borders, deeming her brother's service useless. There was no worry or fear, merely pure annoyance at the thought of not having her brother's friendship farther away than she was accustomed to.

"I despise you, Voronen."

"No, you do not. You do not despise me as you despise Milunion."

She cringed at the mention of Milunion, a repulsive ellon who thought it wise and necessary to ask for her hand in marriage. He was younger than she, and quite irritating in many of his mannerisms. The poor ellon fell very short of her standards for a friend, and even shorter on her standards for a husband. Milunion found it necessary to trespass the normal boundaries that normally need not be outlined in great detail. Unless you are a person akin to the ways of Milunion, son of Marelion.

When Milunion had asked for Anneth's hand, Voronwe simply laughed in his face, unable to control his complete amusement. Never would he allow such a soul to marry his daughter, and he was sure his eldest daughter would not even think to associate herself with such a repugnant character. He had been so sure Voronwe would allow him to marry his daughter that had long passed marrying age, and was hilariously taken aback when his request was denied. He had not so much looked at her since. Most likely, the ellon feared for his life. And his face.

Anneth hoped he matured quickly, came to his senses, and fully understood that marriage was bound by love and naught else.

"That–being–is truly repulsive, and I do believe I wish to gift him with a broken nose," she replied, turning her nose up, disgusted. "What a daft, dense soul!

"Oh, and you say that I am the violent one, sister! The hypocrisy of a lady, or anyone, has never been lauded, nor shall it ever be."

"I am not a hypocrite," boldly she declared.

"Lying is also looked down upon, Anneth, surely you know this!"

A mischievous grin spread across Voronen's face as he observed his sister's growing irritation. He found there was great fun in torturing her and bringing her annoyance.