Chapter 9: Ricin

I dropped my phone to the floor, eyes locked on Aaron's dead body. What's wrong with me? Another ding ringed my ears. I pick my phone from the ground, unlocking it to view the recent text message.

Unknown: I didn't want you to have to do that, Crystal.

Me: Fuck you.

Unknown: Wow, Crystal. I knew you were insane, but I didn't know you were feisty.

Me: As soon as I found out who you are, I will kill you.

Unknown: Threatening me isn't a good idea, considering William's life is in my hands. No wait, his life is in your hands, Crystal. You haven't dug up that grave yet.

I walked over to the grave, picking up the shovel. I dug and dug, eventually hitting a wood coffin. I pried open the coffin with the metal shovel. Inside the coffin was a canister of gasoline, a lighter, a map and a paper slip beneath it. I reached down, picking up the map. It was a map of my town in which had an X marked at a specific location. I didn't recognize the location, but I felt like I'd find out more if I read the paper slip in the coffin.

I reached down once more, viewing the paper slip. It read "On the map is marked an X, kill that person and don't leave evidence." I have to kill again? I didn't know if I could go on. But, William practically saved my life by not snitching on me to the police, so I had to save his.

I took the gasoline and lighter from the grave then kicked Joe's body back into his grave, shedding a tear. I walked over to Aaron's body. His eyes were open, blood dripping from his mouth, and breathless. I dragged Aaron's body to the grave, not hesitating. I pushed his body in, landing on top of Joe. I thought about burning their bodies, but I couldn't. I'd already done enough. I closed the coffin, apologizing to Aaron's corpse. I wiped tears from my eye, sticking the shovel into the ground. I hauled pounds of dirt and covered the coffin.

I texted the unknown number.

Unknown: No evidence can be left behind, Crystal. That includes Aaron's truck. Get rid of it. Use the gasoline and lighter on his truck.

Me: You sick bastard.

Unknown: You're the one who just killed someone.

I walked over to Aaron's truck, bathing it in gasoline. I flicked the lighter on, tossing it into the window of the truck. Flames shot out, coloring the sky red and orange. Scorching red fire flew into the air in my eye's reflection. The truck exploded into hot flames. I'd witnessed destruction, realizing I'd caused it.

I walked home, distraught. I took the leather jacket Joe was wearing in his coffin to cover Aaron's blood on my clothing. I was broken, considering I just killed someone who didn't need to die. I'm a curse. Whoever hangs around me ends up dead. I felt I just needed to die in order keep anyone else from getting hurt.

I got home, walking upstairs to my room, taking off Joe's jacket and falling onto my bed. My eyes shut immediately, falling to sleep.

I stood high again, on top the Eiffel Tower. William beside me again, smiling. "Crystal, you need to save me." I look at William, full of despair. "I know. I'm trying." William looks back at me with an unsatisfying face. "Well, you're not trying hard enough." I look at William, full of anger. 'I'm trying, okay?" William looks back, sad. "It's already too late for me, Crystal." I give him the look of disbelief. "No, it's not!" William smiles, then becomes afraid. "Why did you drag me into this? Why?" I began to cry. "I'm sorry. I didn't know what to do. I needed help. I couldn't have my future be ruined." William gave me the look of sympathy. "Well, look where that got you. Crystal. It got people killed."