Chapter 16: Trapdoor

My ears rang and my vision blurred due to the utter shock that filled my eyes. My father gave me a strange look due to my reaction to the answer he'd given me to my question.

"Crystal, are you okay?" My father asked.

Before I could respond, the nurse walked in, giving my father some good news. "Okay, Mr. Garrix. You seem to have recovered well. You're free to go home today if you'd like."

My mother spoke for him. "Yes nurse, he wants to go home."

"Okay, I'll go gather his belongings." The nurse said, walking out the room.

My father realized that Jason wasn't with us. "Where's Jason?" My mother began to sob, "He's not here right now."

"What do you m-"

The nurse walked back in, sitting my father in a wheelchair. She rolled him out the room. She got into the elevator with us which took us to the first floor, and out the hospital. My mother helped my father up, into the car. We all sat in our dark green SUV and drove to the motel.

"Where's Jason, Crystal?"

"I'll explain everything later."

We arrived at the motel. My mother dropped us off. She went out to buy dinner, giving me time to explain everything to my father.

We walked into the motel room, seeing nothing but 'police line, do not cross' yellow slips. My mother had called the police to investigate. Good thing my mother hid the money under the wood floor. She planned on telling my father about, I guess she forgot. None the less, I had to tell him.

I snuck into the room, opening up the floors, grabbing the bag of money. I exited the room after closing up the floors and walked to the motel office.

"What do you need?"

"Another room."

He sighed, "You're in room 7."

"How much will that be?"

"On the house. Just, get out my face."

I settled my father in our new room. I set him on the bed so I could tell him the truth. "Dad, I have to tell you something."

"How about you start off by telling me where the hell Jason is?"

"Someone took him."

"What? Who?"

"For the past few weeks, someone has anonymously been stalking me. They've forced me into killing people to reach William."

My father's eyes grew wide. "What the fuck did you do, Crystal? Are you insane?"

"It isn't my fault! I couldn't let William just die! I brought him into this!"

"Is he really worth it, Crystal? You thought you were trying to save your future, but you've just made it worse!"

"I'm sorry."

"So, this anonymous guy or whatever took my son?!"

"I'm going to find him. He has a tattoo on his neck of the grim reaper I asked you about."

"Well, then let's get off our asses and go find him!"

My mother had taken the van and my father's police car was at the station. I called Joshua for help. Joshua had a car and a license, so he was our only option at this point.

I called Joshua, "Hey, Josh?"

"Yeah?"

"Can we use your car for something? We might also need your help."

"We?"

"Yes, me and my dad. We're looking for Devin."

"Sure, where are you?"

"At the Baker's Motel."

"Okay, I'll be there soon."

Joshua arrived at the motel, ready to pick us up. "Get in." My father and I jumped in the car. "So, where are we headed?" Joshua asked.

"To Aaron's house."

We arrived at Aaron's home. I assumed that the unknown number still had clues left behind that I hadn't yet uncovered. I knocked on the door, hoping someone would answer.

The door opened, there he was, Aaron's father. "You again?" He said, wiping his tears. Aaron had been confirmed dead once that picture of his head on a stick got leaked throughout the school. I'm sure Tom and Trisha's parents weren't too thrilled either. I'm sure they wanted their kids to stay in the ground after their funerals.

"Do you know where Aaron could have possibly gone on those Tuesdays he was never home?" I asked.

"My only guess is the woods. I saw him roaming into the forest one time. But, I could have been seeing things."

"Thanks for the cooperation."

I had my father and Joshua follow me into the forest. We walked for few minutes until stumbling upon something rather suspicious. Joshua stepped over a pile of leaves, yet he felt the touch of scratched wood on his shoes. He rustled through the leaves, digging up the remains of the hidden clues the unknown number left behind.

Under the leaves was a wooden trapdoor. My father pulled the latch and lifted it open. It was dark down there. There was a ladder. "Ladies first." Joshua insisted.

I climbed down the latter, hoping something wouldn't pop out of nowhere and bite off my leg. I reached the bottom. My father and Joshua went down the ladder behind me.

There was a long hallway, in which we walked through. There were dim lights flickering, causing anxiety to stir inside me.

I saw a door at the end. Once we all approached it, me and Joshua took deep breaths. My father wasn't afraid. He was more worried at whatever was behind this door wouldn't be pleasant.

I creaked the door open. I was relieved. I'd never been so happy in my life. I felt like I'd won. Unfortunately, my father didn't. He was hoping Jason would be in here. Joshua didn't seem to care as much as I did.

William laid on the floor in the corner of the room. Devin was chained up, set up for a butcher session. Luckily, whoever planned on chopping up Devin wasn't there. I ran to William. His hands were tied up. I pulled my pocket knife from my back pocket and cut him loose. He was beaten up. "You're okay, William. You're okay." He smiled back, barely awake.

We were all underground, yet Jasmine and Brittany had something going on above ground.

Jasmine knocked on Brittany's door. Brittany opened up, "Hey, what's up?" Jasmine gave Brittany a stern look.

"I need your help."

"With what?" Brittany asked.

"Killing Crystal Garrix."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4/29/17

Thanks for reading Chapter Sixteen of 'The Day I Became a Serial Killer'. I'd really appreciate some feedback in the comments as well as a book vote if you enjoyed the sixteenth chapter. Thank you for reading, Wattpaders! Chapter Seventeen is out now!