Chapter 1: When It Really Hit

Hannah's POV

It is just a normal Thursday afternoon here in Clearwater, and my brother and I decided to walk to the beach, since it is only a 5 minute walk from our house. We brought our towels and some beach chairs to sit in because we wanted to go swimming for a little bit. When we got to there, it was pretty crowded. We found a spot near the middle and put our beach chairs out. Our parents said that they would follow us to the beach once they were done doing some things for work. They came after 10 minutes, and my brother and I had already jumped in the water. They set their stuff down by our chairs and joined in with us. We swam at the beach for a total of 4 1/2 hours before we decided to get ready and go back home. When we got home, I really got into the shower to clean off the saltwater from my hair and any sand that sticked to me. After I was done taking a shower, I sat down on my bed and began reading my favorite book, All The Bright Places. I read about 3 chapters before I started getting hungry, so I took a break in reading to get something to eat for lunch. I decided to make myself a ham & cheese sandwich with a side of some chips. I sat down at the table and pulled my iPad up to watch some shows on Netflix. Once I was done eating, I cleaned up and went back to my room and take a quick nap.

------1 hour later------

That one hour nap was very well needed. But, when I woke up from my nap, I checked my phone to see what the weather was going to be for tonight. And when I saw what the results were, I was a little shocked. It was that it was going to thunderstorm all night and through the morning, and it's supposed to lead to a hurricane/tsunami. Just the sound of hearing the words "hurricane" and "tsunami" is so scary. Florida rarely gets any hurricanes, but when it does, it never ends up good. I didn't want to think about what the end result would be, so I just decided to go in the living room and watch some TV. After a few minutes went by, my parents came home from doing grocery shopping because of the "hurricane" we're supposed to get. "Hey Mom, hey Dad. Did you guys get everything we need?" I asked. "We were able to get what we could. There was rarely anything left." Dad replied. "Were you guys able to get water & bread, or even milk?" I asked. "Yes, we were able to get some bread & water, but there was rarely any milk left, so we got was the store had left." Mom replied. "Well, at least we should be set for tonight's storm." I said.

------During The Middle Of The Night------

It is now 12:30 am, and I was awoken by the sound of rain that was coming down super hard, it sounded like rocks falling from the sky. I tried to look out the window, but I could rarely see anything. I tried walking out to the door in the window to look outside, and I could see that all the cars were pretty much washed away or completely damaged. Houses were being torn apart, and also some parts of houses were being washed away by the rain. I later heard my Mom and Dad waking up to the pouring hard rain. "Hannah, you should get in your room, now!! We don't want you to get hurt, if the hurricane ends up flooding our house." Dad said. I then heard my brother starting to wake up. "What's going on?" He asked confusingly. "Bud, we're in a hurricane right now. Get back to your room before something happens." I said. "But I'm nervous." He replied as he ran by me and hugged my leg. We all quickly huddled into a group, because the rain was pouring down too hard, that it started breaking our roof and the rain started coming in our house. "Guys, run to our room, now!!" Dad screamed as we all ran for their room. But, it was already too late. I was the only one who was able to get to the room...

------The Next Morning------

It's all gone. Everything was gone. My house, the memories, and, my parents and brother. I heard safety guards coming to my house telling me that my Mom, Dad, and brother had been found 5 blocks down the street, already lifeless. At this point, I had already lost hope. I was the only one that survived this tsunami in the family. I'm still in shock to believe that they're gone, and that I won't be able to see them, ever again. Then all of a sudden, I remembered one of the most important pieces to me. My locket that was gifted to me from my parents. I ran to my room to check and see if it was still in the box where I left it, and sure enough, it was gone. I'm never going to see it ever again.

Never.