i will keep that warmth

cross-posted on ao3 and vka

-

It's stressful. Everything is. Work is, studies take too much time and now it's time to move. Jeongguk didn't realise how much this all would exhaust him, but working part-time while being a full-time student was already a difficult task. He doesn't know why or when he and his boyfriend, Taehyung, got the idea of moving into a new apartment. The one they already live in is nice, decent view of the city but maybe a tad bit too small for two people. They've lived in it for probably two years soon, and they need a bigger space. Those are facts, yes, and they found an apartment and now they are moving in about a week but Jeongguk is stressed over every single thing in his life right now.

He's in his last year of university, majoring in English and while that is pretty much the only thing he is studying, he is working on weekends and sometimes on afternoons or evenings when he doesn't have classes. Taehyung has, multiple times, told him he doesn't need to work. The older of the two works full-time but works from home sometimes, then he often has long meetings during the week, he's a designer and does earn quite a lot of money for it. At least enough for now so that Jeongguk doesn't actually need to help him paying the rent and what not, however, the younger insists and therefore does his best. But that also leads to him unknowingly overworking himself.

This, Taehyung knows, is very aware of. The two have had many small and unnecessary arguments about this so they rarely bring it up nowadays, but it is always on the tip of Taehyung's tongue. Always.

However, it's late one Friday night, Taehyung just came home from being in a meeting all day at his office and he comes home to finding Jeongguk in their bedroom, crouched down next to one of the many boxes in which they have, barely, started to pack their stuff. "Hey Guk," he says, causing the younger boy to startle slightly, turning around but flashing a smile towards his boyfriend briefly. "Hi," he breathes back, turning his attention back to packing some smaller objects into the box. Taehyung sees some old notebooks and just random books in general next to the box and concludes that those are the things Jeongguk is putting into the box.

"When did you get home?" Taehyung asks, walking over to the closet and pulling the uncomfortable dress shirt off, quickly pulling out one of his sweaters and putting it on his upper body, the soft material instantly making him more relaxed. "Oh, uhm, what time is it now?" The brunette asks, still packing stuff into the box. Taehyung sighs quietly, wanting to help but knowing Jeongguk wants to pack his own stuff by himself. The older presses the home button on his phone before connecting it to the charger, then placing it on the nightstand. "Eleven." "What?" Jeongguk now looks up to where Taehyung has sat down on the bed, the older noticing how his eyes have widened and he looks adorable. "I've been home since like, two. I did have a shift at the cafe but my co-worker took that shift instead so I've been packing since then."

Taehyung smiles warmly. But he wishes Jeongguk could've taken these hours of the Friday afternoon and evening to rest. "But wait, have you been in that meeting since nine this morning?" Jeongguk then asks with a surprised voice, breaking Taehyung's thoughts. "What? Oh, yeah, more or less. It was supposed to last until lunch, but we never came to a conclusion so we've been talking all day. I'm tired, but-" "Oh, hyung. Go to bed," Jeongguk stands up then, clear worry in his face. Shaking his head, Taehyung opens his mouth to speak but Jeongguk beats him to it. "Have you eaten today?" Taehyung nods. "Yeah, breakfast this morning, but, Jeongguk I-" Jeongguk cups the blonde's face, squeezing his cheeks and at any other point of the day, Taehyung would feel flustered, but now he's too tired and just wants to talk. "Only breakfast? You're an idiot. I'll...I'll make you something!"