Chapter 3: I Need You to Save Me

Camila’s POV

I was sitting at my bed in my room, wearing my headphones and blocking out the rest of the world the best I could. That was until my little sister, Sofia, came into my room and poked my shoulder, causing me to jump a little in fright.

«What are you doing up so late?» I asked worriedly and put my headphones around my neck.

«I can’t sleep.» She simply said while crossing her legs and fiddling with her tiny fingers. «It doesn't feel like home.»

The small statement caused a stinging pain to cut through my chest and I pulled her up to me, putting her on my lap while my arms embraced her. «Why can't you sleep little butterfly?» I asked and used my nickname on her to try soothe her deprivation.

She rubbed her eyes and in the most innocent voice you could imagine she asked a question that amde my heart shatter all over again. «When are mom and dad coming back?» 

It felt like my stomach had been turned inside out when I had to explain to her. I cleared my throat and put on a brave face for her while preparing the most hurtful lie I would ever tell. «Soon, I hope.» And my voice cracked at the end. I couldn't tell her the truth any longer. It was best for her to not know.

My aunt came running up the stairs and rushed into my room, a freaked out expression covering her features. «Mila have you seen Sof- Oh there you are, come on it’s time for bed.» She said and I could see her tensed shoulders relax a bit.

Walking over to me she picked Sofia up, who insisted on giving me a small wave before resting her head on my aunt’s shoulder. 

When they were both out of sight I allowed my tears abound. I looked down at the red lines on my wrist. How could I be brave for both of us when I couldn’t even be strong enough for myself?

I had to find a way, but how?

_______________________

Abruptly wakening with sweat covering my every body part I huffed to myself.

Another nightmare.

This time was a bit different though. Everything had been dark and only the desperate yells from my parents were to hear. «Mila, save us! Help me! Help!» 

I glanced over at the clock, seeing it was only 3 am I decided to try go back to sleep but it was hard to do so when the window slammed closed and then was blown open a numerous of times by the cold wind. 

It took me a while to eventually take the determined steps and close the window I felt myself being watched again, but not in a scary way. Someone wasn't watching me, but they were watching over me. I shook the thoughts out of my head. Clearly I was starting to get mental and I was in desperate need of more rest.

Therefor I went back to bed in sincere hope for a few peaceful hours with sleep.

_______________________

Lauren’s POV

I sat in the tree and the wind was blowing chilly at this time of night, causing me to pull my leather jacket tighter around myself. It was right before 3 am when I felt my heart make an unexpected jump. 

The shock was so powerful that I had to grab one branch of the tree to keep myself from hitting the ground, and when I’d regained my balance I peeked through the window.

I could barely spot a dark shadow nearing the gap. Oh no, what was I supposed to do now? My gaze met the roof, oh hell. I took a huge leap landing on the roof featherlightly, hopefully she hadn’t caught me.