Chapter 18: Behind the Shadows

Camila’s POV

I was lying on my stomach in bed, once again letting the literature pleasurably dictate the present. Completely lost in the beautiful words that were written in black on the pages in front of me I sighed, wishing that things were as simple as in some of the stories. That I could bring such joy to someone's life through my words.

Time flew by and in what felt like only matter of seconds turned out to be hours and instead of reaching the most exciting parts where main character was forced to take some very consequential decisions Lauren suddenly appeared.

She was only inches away from my face, which startled me enough to almost fall off the bed as she grabbed me skillfully. I gasped and my hand clung to my chest as I tried to calm my beating heart.

«Lauren. What the actual fuck?» I scolded and offered her a crabby look. «You know it's rather uncommon to enter a house through the window, normal people use the door.» I added rudely while I got off the bed and trudged over to the window, partly because I was annoyed at her, but also because I didn't trust my own desires.

She didn’t respond to my reaction, neither with a snarky or teasing comment and in a sudden I felt self-conscious. I rubbed my arm awkwardly and looked down. «Um Lauren.» I adressed and her eyes lit up, meeting my gaze surely. «What are you doing here?»

«We agreed to hang out tonight, remember?» She replied lightly, lifting up the photo of my parents. «Are these your parents?» 

I hurried to nod confirmingly. Explaining the entire story to her was the least I wanted to do right now.

«Were you close?» She asked, no wittiness behind it, but just plain curiosity.

«We were.» I had to swallow away the lump in my throat. She was still holding the photo and I got the familiar feeling when she looked at me again, as her eyes pierced right through my soul and it frightened me how vulnerable I felt.

«Do you ever miss yours?» I inquired to steer the conversation back to her.

«No.» She answered coldly. How could she not miss her parents? My parents used to have such a big impact on my life, which meant that withour them it felt like a huge part of me was gone.

«Don’t look so surprise. It’s not like I care about anything.» She clucked and it stung in my chest to hear her talk so ruthlessly. Earlier she had treated the picture of them all with such caution that I knew she once cared. It made me wonder if I had also become one of those things she'd forgotten about.

«How do you read my feelings?» I questioned, quite surprised at my own question, but I realized I’d always been facinated by her unique ability. If I was completely honest everything about Lauren interested me somehow.

«I can’t read them, and I can’t really explain it because I'm not really sure myself. I just feel them creeping up on me. They depend, the weaker feelings creep onto me slowly, while the stronger ones come crashing down.» She clarified and for the first time I realized how disruptive and exhausting it must be to take on other people's pain or sorrow.

«Don't sweat it Camz. It's ok.» She said and gave me somewhat of a kind smile. «Are you ready to leave?»

«It’s getting late and I’m sure Vero is already asleep.» I reminded her, hoping that she would just let me go back to my book.

«Guess again Cabello, she’s waiting for you outside.» Lauren began before pointing towards the window. «So get yourself out, now.» 

My eyes widened as I repeated her action and directed my finger at the not so alluring exit. «Out the window? Are you insane? I think the blood has made you either crazy or delusional. The house is two stores high.» I snorted and she looked entirely unfazed.