Chapter 7: Getting Closer

Camila’s POV

Reading always took my mind of things and helped me ignore the world around me. God, how I loved books and how they managed to drag you away with them, into your own little fairytale, making you forget everything around and basically live in the depths of the story.

«What are you reading?» A husky voice appeared. That voice definitely didn't belong in my book and I had a hunch on who it belonged to.

I clasped the booksides together and turned around irritated. «A Thousand Splendid Suns.» I answered rudely. She was always showing up when I least expected it.

«Oh, I’ve read that one. It’s actually quite good.» She commented, surprising me. 

«I didn’t take you for a bookworm.» I uttered and coudn't tame my curiousity, not entirely convinced that she actually read.

«How come? I love books.» She said with a smile.

I coughed. «Because like you know. Ugh, you’re too pretty to be one of us nerds.» 

Oh God did I just say that? I felt my cheeks burn as I looked down, not wanting to meet her gaze after that embarrassing comment.

«I didn’t take you for being sassy either, but guess we surprised each other.» She chuckled while wearing a big grin.

«I’m not really sassy. I just had a bad day.» I claimed, nervously fiddling with my hair.

«Seems like they go around a lot.» She took herself the liberty of grabbing a chair and sit down at the same table as me.

«So, do you want to tag along with me on the way home? It gets a bit lonely sometimes.» She proposed sincerely.

«Um, where’s your cousin? Isn’t she driving you home?» I asked unsure about how to react to her offer so I tried to steer away from the subject.

«She’s away, on a...let’s just say she needed to figure out some things for herself. But what do you say Cabello, wanna be my travel companion?» 

«Sure.» I answered indifferently, trying to hide the fact that my heart rate was increasing drastically and I got all excited only by thinking about being in her company.

«Cool, I’ll meet you outside after school.» She confirmed leaving my table to join the tall girl, the other one of her room-mates I'd figured.

Ok Camila breath. She was just a normal girl. Not someone worth knowing, not really. Okay I had to admit it, I rejoiced at the thought of talking to her again.

_______________________

Lauren’s POV

She actually accepted. I was so sure she was going to say no that I’d prepared myself for finding a way to persuade her, turned out that wouldn't be necessary. Perhaps Ms. Cabello was more open than she'd initially given me the expression of.

I sat behind her in class, staring at her brown hair as it flowed down her back flawlessly. Inhaling her sweet scent made me warm and I could easily feel her boredom and excitement down to my bones and it made me all sort of giddy.

Hopefully it was the second feeling that was aimed to our meet later.

I leaned against the school building waiting for her appearance, damn was she late.

It took her another ten minutes before she finally appeared with her pink bow matching her outfit perfectly. «You’re late.» I remarked with a sly smile.

«No. I'm as punctional as always. You’re just inhumanly fast.» She obviously joked but it didn't help as my body stiffened a bit at her choice of word. Did she have a suspicion? 

With no time for further consideration she started walking in front of me and I had to speed up a bit to catch up with her. «Hey, not so fast.» 

«I take it back, you’re incredible slow.» She teased and I was so tempted to lift her up and carry her with me home, proving to her that if she wanted fast I could fulfill her wish.

«What are you smiling about?» I realized she was staring at me blatantly.

«Nothing. I just thought about how pretty you are.» I let out confident. The truth was that I thought about that a lot, like every time her gorgeous face appeared in sight.

I thought she was going to get shy or something, but instead she flashed me one of the most stunning smiles I’ve ever seen.

We walked for about 30 minutes making small talk. I learned a lot about her. She came from Miami, but moved cause her parents died, a very mysterious death that caused me to shudder. 

Also I was busy with not tearing up right then. I knew all too well about her pain. At least I had gotten a new family. She however didn't seem to feel home at her aunt’s.

We reached our destination, but I just couldn’t let her go yet. I gathered some courage and asked her the only question I knew would buy us some time. «You want to come in?»

She looked amazed, but her expression changed to a timid one really fast and she looked down, unsure. «You sure? I don’t want to bother you.»

I grabbed her arm giving her an assuring smile. «No, you’re not bothering at all.» 

Gasping at the sensation I felt in my hand the instant I made contact with her skin. It was just so soft and warm, a total contradiction to what mine would soon feel.

Wow, there was something about this girl.

_______________________

Camila’s POV

After Lauren invited me in, I followed her, hanging my jacket up as I went inside of her amazing house. A picture on the coffee table immediately drew my attention.

I hadn’t seen it the other day. I picked it up, admiring the girl on it. It was of Lauren and four other people.

A man and a woman holding around each other, their eyes filled with love and tenderness. In front of them was Lauren with a younger version of herself and a cute boy probably a bit younger than us.

Who were these people?

«My parents and my younger sister and brother.» She noted while sticking her head over my shoulder.

It was so tempting to ask about the rumors, but I was so afraid of offending her or taking this friendship thing too far. 

«They’re dead.» She answered flatly putting it with affection back in place. How come she always seemed to know what I was thinking about.

«Oh.» Was all I let out. I decided not to dig too deeply. Knowing how irritating it was when people asked to much about things not really concerning them.

«Wanna watch a movie? I can order pizza later if you want.» She offered.

Movie and pizza was like music to my ears and I accepted eagerly, totally forgetting about my whole concept with acting cool. 

_______________________