Chapter 14: In the Depths of My Despair

Camila’s POV

Seconds turned into minutes that developed to hours that ended in days without her. Days without Lauren and nights ravaged with the dark nightmares.

That was how my two months had gone by. Alone. I was forced to forget about everything that had happened since I moved to this city. 

I should forget about her. She wasn't something inexplicably, yet there wasn't a part of me that didn't miss her. The horror stories and myths about their existence was impossible for me to believe. 

In spite of the ice cold skin she made me feel more warmth than anyone else, that her soul was dead I would never truly believe. 

Her heart might have stopped, but she would always have one, because mine was still beating for herand it would until the day I died.

I hadn't spoken any of her family members since that dreadful day. Everyone pretended that everything was normal, even Ally. Although I could see the same pain that surrounded me in her restricted eyes.

Where are you? I asked silently. It had been so long that for a while I was scared that meeting her had been just another nightmare. 

Or in this case it would have been a dream. A really good dream that I had no desire in waking up from, but I had and now life was empty.

No joy or happiness, it was all just a completly neverending darkness. 

I visualized her in every nook and cranny I move. Tall, strong and protective, but I never got to get to know her truly. Not for real, because she always ran away.

You never stayed.

_______________________ 

I walked to the park with Sofi’s hand safely placed in mine.

«Kaki, can we go on the swing?» My little sister asked eagerly while pointing to the playground. 

I nodded to her and watched as she basically jumped over to it. Seeing her this cheerful made my heart a thousand times lighter.

«Higher!» She screamed out in joy as I obeyed and pushed her harder. It happened in course of seconds and before I could react I saw her losing the grip of the swing as she fell to the ground.

«Sofia!» I screamed and ran forwards.

Blood trickled out of the small wounds on her elbows and knees and I grabbed her hand forcefully. «We're going home now!» I panicked and pulled her arm.

«I don't want to go home. I want to stay and play some more.» She whined.

«No. We’re going home Sofi!» I almost shouted which made her take a step back, frightened. 

«Sofi, I- I’m sorry...I didn’t mean to scare you.» I tried to reach for her, but she emerged from my hand.

Tears rolled down her eyes as she only looked at me like I was a stranger. 

She started running and I had to run after her, but I was just frozen in place. I’d never yelled this way at my little sister. 

I felt a hand touching my shoulder as I turned around tears running down my cheeks.

«Are you okay?» 

It was an unknown brunette and she looked at me with eyes filled with sincere concern. 

«No, I’ve lost everyone and now my little sister.» I answered honestly and sobbed lightly, not bothered that the stranger saw me crying.

«Oh, I’ll help you find her?» She offered kindly and I nodded gratefully before starting our search for Sofi.