t h r e e

a s t r i d 

------------------

I am not the kind of princess that needs saving. Frankly, I'm not a princess at all. You can be the gallant prince all you want, I don't mind. But get the part about saving me out of your heard. I am not a damsel in distress. I don't need saving. I'm not trapped. I am not weak. I don't need help. If I am anything, I am a dragon. And if you get too close to me, I'll burn everything.

------------------ 

I wonder sometimes, maybe the stars aren't stars at all, but a map to get out of this place.

Life too often feels like a battle, one in which the only prize is death.

Walking into the gang's house, anxiety clutched my throat- reminding me desperately of all the secrets which I needed to hide.

Not for my benefit however, but for all of theirs.

I heard they were all wicked, a monument of death and loyalty.

Yet I knew I was much worst. My past was far from pretty and I still ran from most of the people sent to slaughter me in the safety of my home.

These people had committed crimes, that I already knew.

But they still have a family, they still have each other.

I have little to no one left, I have nothing left to lose.

"So are you the King of this territory?" I asked, sarcasm leaking like an everlasting toxin from my words.

He chuckled numbly, shaking his head at my words. "We don't have any Kings or Queens here, just Becca and the gang."

"Ah of course. Rebecca Clarke, how could I forget." I didn't say it like a question, because I knew it wasn't. I knew he could see right through my facade, I was afraid of what would happen if they recognised me.

Astrid Cleveland was a recent acquaintance. A name I acquired just 2 years ago. I never saw the point of keeping the same identity constantly, I'm not the same person I was yesterday, or last week, or last month.

Of course, nobody else could find out this information or I'd be in more trouble than I already am.

I gazed into the boy's eyes, searching idly for any trace of answers. We waited silently in a doorway, outside a room which was quite obviously full of people. The loud noise could not be mistaken for anything other than a group of teenagers.

Little sparks of gold and brown decorated his outer iris, illuminating the vibrant green buried deep beneath the hard exterior. His green eyes had more darkness to them than any brown eyes I had ever seen.

The door opened as Valentine soon ushered me in, I could feel the warm heat radiating off his hand, which he had placed just above the small of my back.

The famous face of Rebecca Clarke soon met my stare, her posture feeding off power and respect. Her pride was suffocating, it appeared to consume the entire room.

"My Top Members will introduce themselves, their rank and their speciality. Cleveland, you may start." Rebecca commanded, moving her hands behind her back.

A hello wouldn't have hurt.

"Astrid Cleveland, I specialise in almost everything." I smirked as she narrowed her eyes at me, reacting almost instantly to my defiance.