n i n e

a s t r i d 

------------------

Losing a member of your pack isn't like losing family... It's like you lose a limb. Its the same for gangs.

------------------ 

I knew something was wrong as soon as the door burst open at 4am.

Sitting in the gameroom with a kebab in my hand, as usual, I sat alone in the silent room after abandoning the idea of sleep hours ago.

Insomnia is a bitch.

My body jumped up as I heard the loud bang, the shock causing my heart to pound relentlessly against my chest.

Standing up cautiously, I stroll into the hallway to a gruesome sight.

Alexi was stood in front of the door, a lifeless flame lingered in her eyes.

It was a look that I had become familiar with over the last six years of my life.

It was a look that I held so brokenly after my parents were killed.

Hayden had said she left early this morning, with Asher, to meet someone called Tyler Caldwell.

Tyler was famous on the streets for his ruthless attitude and unforgivable behaviour. He was evil to the core, and Alexi's older brother.

"Alexi? What's wrong? Where's Ash?" I asked fearfully as she sank to the floor, tears streaming down her face. I tried to stand up so I could check outside, to see if he was there, but still grabbed my hand and pulled me down.

My gaze soon caught the crimson stains on her clothes, the fresh crimson stains.

My breathing hitched.

No.

No. No. No.

"Asher." She stared ahead of me, her breathing coming out in deep pants. My heart shattered at her broken tone. She sounded like she'd given up entirely. I pulled her into my arms and she clutched me as though I would release her.

That glimmer in her eyes was too familiar.....The same one I had held so brokenly for the past 5 years.

He's dead.

"I can't do this without my brother." She sobbed, clenching her fists in my flannel shirt.

"I know." I spoke softly back to her, holding her with same intensity.

Rebecca ran down the stairs, a handgun held securely in her grip. She froze as she noticed Alexi and I sat on the floor.

Catching my eyes, she shook her head at me. The wall in her eyes fell hearing Alexi's cries.

"Asher." I mouthed, my eyes watering slightly.

She knew what I meant instantly.

I didn't ever expect to watch Rebecca Clarke cry. Tears flowed down her face, her hard exterior slowly deteriorating.

"Lexi, I'm going to leave you with Bec, okay?" I tell her, letting Rebecca pull her out of my arms and into her own.

I walk away from the scene, my own cries coming silently.

Fuck insomnia, death is the leader of this hell.