e l e v e n

a s t r i d

-----------------

I'm oxygen and he's dying to breathe

------------------  

" Astrid?"

"What's up, River?" I ask, raising my brows in question. Jesse and Shae shuffle uncomfortably at their sides, "Sit down." I gesture to the sofa in front of me.

They sit down and stare at me silently.

Shae gnaws on his lip, "Tyler Caldwell is dead."

"Good."

He killed his brother, he deserves it.

If my answer shocks them, they don't show it.

Jesse's lips move upwards, and his gaze catches mine. "We're having a memorial tonight. Rules are that the newbie has to do a speech and read out the rules."

"And by newbie, you mean me?" I sign, sticking my hand out expectantly.

"Kind of." He shrugs, handing me a copy of the rule sheet. My eyes scan the rules. "You know, Cleveland, you're not what I expected."

"Is that good or bad?"

"I haven't decided yet."

***

"I heard you're doing the reading tonight."

I straighten my dress out calmly, meeting Taylor's eyes through the mirror.

At that current moment, I was internally preparing to pay tribute to a kid who died.

Yet meeting Taylor's calloused eyes made my mind flicker slightly.

You see, Taylor Valentine has this glimmer in his green eyes, that made me desperately wonder.

Just how many people has he killed?

But then he has this grin that makes me realise...he's probably lost count.

"News travels fast, I assume." I reply easily, taking a deep breath.

"Yes it does." He moves closer to me. My heart speeds up naturally and my breathing hitches, his fingers skim along the lacey edges of my dress. "Jesus, Astrid. You look breathtaking."

"Thank you." My eyes squint as my lips pull upwards. I turn around so I was flush against him. His hands wrap around my waist.

"I want to kiss you." He breathes out, rubbing circles into the small of my back.

"What's stopping you?" I whisper back, fluttering my eyelashes at him. A deep heat consumes my entire body, aching for his lips to touch mine. Even if it was just for a second.

"Maybe it's the fact that if I kiss you.." He says, leaning in closer. "I don't think I'll be able to stop...Or maybe it's...it's..." The words appear to get stuck in his throat, but it doesn't stop me from stepping away from him.

"Or maybe it's what?" I snap, narrowing my eyes at him. "Maybe it's what, Valentine?"

"Becca." He swallows, "Becca."

"Are you serious?" I scoff, pushing him away from me. "You know what, screw you! And screw her too! Actually, just screw each other!"

"Listen," He grabs me before I can leave the room. My eyes widen, my fist clenches and I punch him. He stumbles away, holding his nose. "I'm sorry, but she's my sister and she doesn't lik-"