t w e n t y - o n e

a s t r i d

------------------

They tried to burn her, not knowing she was a flame.

  ------------------  

The moment Jesse, my guard, walks me back into my room, the tears finally begin to fall.

What did I ever do to deserve a life like this? I don't understand it. It's like the universe is designed to royally fuck my life up.

I fought relentlessly to fight back the tears while stuck in that cell. Like a fucking criminal.

Don't mistaken me, I've been in more cells than I can count. But not as a cold-blooded criminal. Not as a traitor.

I could've gotten out of them chains as quickly as I was locked in them and ran. But I didn't.

I chose not to.

Because I didn't want to confirm what they already thought of me. I didn't want Taylor to think that I'm a traitor. I'm praying now that they don't kill me just because I'm a suspect.

It's crazy.

It only feels like yesterday that we were just children.

We were just children.

Ripped away from our homes.

Forced to play soldiers and war.

With no happy ending.

And it's so fucked up.

As I was chained to the fucking floor and walls in that damned cell, answering questions to these people I classed as family, I refused to let them see me weak.

I never let them see me cry because the only thing that's never let me down is my pride.

"My name is Alexi Clarke. My Grandfather basically started The Rebels. My Mom died giving birth to my twin brother, and my Dad was called Damien Caldwell."

A voice speaks from behind, only for me to turn to see Alexi stood staring at the wall before me.

Damien Caldwell.

The man who led the revolution against my Mom and Dad.

I attempt to not flinch at the name, but I fail. The scars are too still deep, too raw.

"I might be on the good side of the war but I'm not one of you. I was born as a rebel, and I did what I was taught to do and rebelled. I'm going to die as a renegade. I'm going to die as a Viper."

I still don't speak.

And she seems to understand.

"It's always been Asher and I against the world. We've been inseparable since I can remember. He's my best friend, and well as my brother. And now he's gone." She trails off, but her voice doesn't break like I expected it to. "Tyler was in charge of us once my Dad got ill. It was always Tyler and Cole. I found out that Cole is my half brother after what happened with my father. I don't necessarily blame him, but he should've stopped Tyler. So he will eventually be dealt with accordingly."

"I don't understand how you do it. I mean, you grieve for him but you still manage to do everything you used to. You lost your entire family and you're still going." I comment without thinking.

"I have a feeling I can say the same about you." She hums, letting the words sink in. "I doubt I'll ever understand why you chose not to see your brother."

Because it's dangerous. I could die. He could die.

Sometimes it's not about travelling alone to keep yourself safe.

Sometimes it's about keeping those around you safe as well.

Cole Caldwell's begin to echo through my mind.

'The Princess is as good as dead....and I know the Prince is soon to follow.'

The Prince is soon to follow.

Soon to follow. Soon to follow. Soon to follow.

They're going to kill Tristan. They're going to kill my brother. 

"I knew you wouldn't let us help but Wren told me you were in trouble." My head shoots up at Alexi's words, my eyes widening in shock.

What the fuck did he tell her?

"He's in a safe house."

"What? Where?"

"I can't tell you." She mutters, running her fingers through her hair. "He's safe. Not even Becca knows where it is."

I stay silent.

"You're not on your own, Arry. Most of our parents are dead. That's why we're together, because it is better than being alone."

"Well since I've been here, I've been held prisoner and interrogated as well as being accused of all sorts of things." I kiss my teeth, "I beg to differ."

"You told me you were betrayed, surely you understand why we need to check." Lexi tries to reason, and I can't help but understand what she's saying. "You told me Rogue betrayed you, and I think that has something to do with why you won't see your brother. How does that make you feel?"

"It makes me angry." I admit without thinking. "It was my life. And now I don't get to have a Mom or Dad, or a brother."

"He's a good guy. Your brother." She adds after seeing my confusion, "He reminds me a lot of you."

"We're nothing alike." I mumble under my breath, attempting pathetically to ignore her words.

"He's got this anger, like you. I've seen him switch really quickly. It's quite dangerous." She informs me nonchalantly, "He tells me stories about things from when you were kids. Including the Ferris Wheel."

I fight back a smile at her last words, ignoring the others.

"That was the best day of my life."

She doesn't say anything, as if waiting for me to continue speaking.

"I got lost and I couldn't find my way home. So I climbed up this ferris wheel and was just looking across the entire city. It was extraordinary. Until I realized I couldn't get down. He found me, got me down and told my Pops it was his fault."

It wasn't his fault.

I was naive, and stupid, and reckless.

I'm not naive or stupid anymore. Reckless, kinda. But still smart, still capable of knowing when I'm being deceived.

"Do you know why we're called The Vipers?" She didn't wait for my answer. "Did you know that neither I or Becca named us?"

"So who did?" I kiss my teeth as the sudden realisation hits me. "Taylor?"

"No." She shakes her head, much to my confusion. "Asher."

"Asher named yous?"

"Us." She corrects, "Yeah he did. Look at your tattoo."

I do as she says, staring down at the permanent design etched into my skin.

"He designed it all." She reminisces softly, "We're not just Vipers because we're spiteful and bitter. We're like the poisonous snakes, and all snakes have a soft underbelly. The lines mean we are each others. The lines mean the only weaknesses we have are one another."

"Like family." I whisper, stroking against the tattooed Vipers underbelly.

"Exactly like family." She agrees. "But sometimes families argue and question each other, or struggle to accept others for who they are but it doesn't stop them being family. Cole and Tyler stopped being my family the moment they went against everything good I stood for, but Becca didn't just because she went against me in regards to suspecting you. She's only trying to protect us, Arry. All she's ever done is try to keep all of us safe, and that includes you now. She just needs time to accept it."