t e n

t a y l o r

------------------

We are capable of terrible things

------------------  

Blood.

The bittersweet, addicting taste of blood was the first thing I imagined as the words left Hayden's mouth.

'Asher is dead.'

Blood.

Tyler's blood, on my hands, would be heaven.

He killed his brother.

His little brother.

One of my best friends.

"I want a bottle of tequila, a shotgun and an obsidian hunting blade." Hayden told Becca casually, throwing himself down on the chair in her office.

Biting my lip to stifle a chuckle, I watch her face morph into one of confusion.

"Why?"

"If you're going to ask me to take down one of the most famous fighters in the state, I want to do it in style." He shrugs.

I stare at him in shock, finding no trace of humour in his gaze. He was being entirely serious.

Becca sends us a small smile each, the one she reserves for just Hayden, Alexi and I.

My sister looked exhausted, to be very honest. Her eyes were surrounded by dark bags, her smile was strained, her skin pale.

It was to be expected, Asher was one of us.

He was our brother too.

"I need you both to do me a favour." She pauses, waiting for any signs of disagreement. "Alexi came back last night covered in blood, informing me that Tyler is dead. Hayden, I need a team sent out to retrieve his body. All traces of his DNA must be removed from his home instantly, the rebels discovering his death won't be good for us. Taylor, I need you to do what you do best."

"And that is?" I question her, one eyebrow raised.

"I need you to be a brother to Lexi. I need you to be you."

I swallow, my heart clenching at her words. "Always."

She nods stiffly, "Hayden, go. You have permission to take 4 members with you, curfews 10pm. Don't be a second late." He goes to walk but her voice stops him once again. "Don't leave until Cole Caldwell has stopped breathing."

He leaves silently, leaving Becca and I completely alone.

"Boss, you need to talk?"

She shakes her head, tearing her gaze away from mine. "I don't need to talk with a soldier, Tay. I need to talk to my brother, my best friend."

"What's going on, Bec? How's Lexi?"

"I don't know what to do, Tay. I really don't." Her voice shattered into a million pieces, Becca clenched her eyes shut. "She keeps talking about what that sadistic motherfucker did to him. How he tortured Asher. I...I..."

"It's okay," I soothe gently, pulling her into my open arms. She relaxes into my touch. "We're going to get through this."

"Before I got sent to the Orphanage, I remember my Mom having this boyfriend. He was always high on heroin, or crack, so I'd stay away from him so he wouldn't hit me. He got into a fight with my Mom, and I walked in to see her lay on the floor. Her throat was littered with dark, purple bruises and her lips were blue. Bloodshot eyes lay open. All I could think was that bastard murdered my Mom. So I grabbed one of her knives, and I went into the backyard and watched him. He just smiled when he saw me but it wasn't a happy smile, more arrogant and mocking. He was proud of killing my Mom, he was proud of hurting me. That was the first night I killed someone, and the first time I saw someone dead. I was 8."