Old Ties

In a rusty wooden bar in the middle of nowhere, sat the secret weapon for Nagata's plan. It sat at the bar, minding its own business and drinking from an alcohol bottle. It was a man with white hair and a silver scruffy beard. He looked like an alcoholic, homeless and drinking his past away. And failing.

The team watched from the dark corner as a group of men approached the depressed man and yanked him off his stool. The alcoholic struggled to keep balance and eventually glared at the group of men, "Alright, Tomo?" He slurred.
"Tomo?" One of them scoffed, "you stealing his money, too?!
"Do I owe you money?"
"Yes! And I'm not leaving without it." The group of men pulled out knives, one set his ablaze, another frozen, the third electrified.

Friday couldn't help but tackle the electric man and beat him unconscious, eating up his lightning magic. The other two men stared in horror, "what in the f-" the entire bar was suddenly drowned in a tsunami of fire. The ceiling caved in and destroyed the bar. The alcohol splashed everywhere and lit more of the building on fire. Chaos and panic broke out as the team quickly left through a whole made in the wall.

Flame stayed and approached the white haired man. In an instant, Flame had a iron grip around his throat. The white haired man glared fearlessly into Flame's burning soul. Flame stared astonished at the lack of burns on the man as he let go of his neck. "How do you not get burns from me? I'm cursed."
The white haired man turned away, walking outside the bar and shutting the door behind him, "you ain't the only cursed one walking this earth, pal."

Flame cut through burning wood planks and rubble then kicked the door open to a stand-off between the team and the man. Nagata stood forward calmly, "Arashi. It's time to talk."
The man shook, hearing his name, "Nagata...no! Stay away from me! All of you!"
"Arashi...you can't hurt any of us...you think we're that weak?" Nagata chuckled.
"You think he's that weak?!" Arashi snapped. "He'll kill you all...like the others..."
"That wasn't your fault...I know that now..."
"But they didn't! They...died...thinking I betrayed them..."

Nagata began edging closer to Arashi as he backed away. The team stayed put, getting ready for a fight. Tears formed in Arashi's eyes as he mumbled the names of people and places. Dan unsheathed his katana, triggering a horizontal blade of fire from Arashi's hand. Dan yanked Nagata back to the floor and curved the fire gently away from doing any harm.

Arashi's eyes shot open, "you...deflected...the flames...the-...wait..."
"Aw, crap." Exclaimed Nagata suddenly as he got up, "thanks and no thanks Dan. Now we got a bigger problem."
"He's like me...he's...he can kill me!" Arashi's shocked expression turned happy and celebratory as he approached Dan.
Nagata cut in front, "this! Is Dan...Dragneel...Dan. This, is...Arashi...Dragneel..."
"WHAT?!" Dan shouted, throwing his arms around Arashi, "FINALLY A BROTHER THAT SEEMS AWESOME!!"
Arashi stared in disbelief for a second. "You possess my power. You can kill me...please, do it! Now! Quickly!!"

Dan backed away, "kill you? But..."
"The curse passed from our father to me, and maybe you, has killed many people I didn't want to. It's driving me mad!"
"Curse?"
"E.N.D! We...or I, have some of that power...it...it killed...my friends...it...almost killed Nagata..."
"Woah, what?! Nagata, why didn't I know this?!"
"Because until a few months ago...I hated him. He...what he said."

The atmosphere in the air had changed so much, nobody had realised the building that used to be a bar had completely disintegrated into ash. The team and Arashi cleared out and moved over to a rundown motel, much like the bar, it was rusty and poorly kept. It looked completely abandoned.

"Alright, Arashi. I got a deal for ya!" Nagata finally said, peaking the interest of all the men around him. "If you help us...and I mean, literally help us, any way you can. We'll kill you."
"This is starting to sound like Black Crystal before you, Nagata." Cain mumbled.
Arashi sat in silence, there were risks. Big ones. What if they couldn't kill him? What if he lost control before they'd finished with Black Crystal. After consideration, he agreed. The risks were worth it, right?

The full team continued to where Black Crystal may based, after night came, the seven mages camped out in the woods. Cain and Nagata were the only ones still awake at midnight. They sat together on a log next to the warm fire Dan had made.

"Ever...doubt yourself?" Nagata asked randomly.
Cain stared directly into the fire, "a lot. But I know that when I have confidence in my abilities, I always win. You?"
"M-me? Hah, what do you think?"
"I think you hide your fear."
"Don't we all? We hide fear behind bravery, we hide sadness behind happiness. Do we not?"
"It depends, really."
"I hope so..."
"You'll be fine. I have faith in you. So does Kaori, and the rest of the guild."
"Yeah. Thanks."

The two brotherly mages stared into the fire, both saw very different things unfold deep down inside themselves. Nagata saw death and sadness, whereas Cain saw success and victory. Which one would come true wasn't far from being revealed.