Fugitives

Lightning sparked off Strike's body as he raced through bushes and passed trees, the wind pounded against his chest and the adrenaline of his run made him faster. He came to a halt at the edge of a cliff, the drop to far to survive. He glanced around at the forest scenery and breathed in the air.

"Not everyone is as fast as you...I know you're scouting, but seriously!" Panted Dan as he came up behind him.
"Actually, me and Nagata are!" Added Friday, jogging on a spot behind the two.
The other four team members wandered through the bushes after them. They set all bags and rucksacks aside and looked out at the scenery.
"I hope we're in the right place." Flame said.
"Yeah, I hope so too." Nagata replied. He sat on the edge of the cliff and scanned the area more closely. "Rest here." He advised the team, "sun is already setting. We'll continue in the morning."

They all set up camp, started a fire and by midnight, they were all asleep. Dan's loud snores masked the sound of approaching men as they knocked Arashi unconcious and lifted him up onto their back. Nagata shot up like a bullet and shouted, "hey! What are you doing with him!" A knife was put against Nagata's throat, silencing him instantly. Dan tossed and turned uncomfortably. The man carrying Arashi silently crept around him. But Dan grabbed hold of his leg, glaring into his eyes and freezing him with fear. He rolled back to his feet and knocked the man down, picking Arashi back up.

The other man was shoved back by Nagata and a single bolt of lightning entered his palm. The man's skin quickly turned to metal and the bolt was driven through his body and out his other hand at Flame. Flame awoke to the surge of electricity hitting him, his cry of pain woke the others too.

Nagata shoved the metal man further back. If the man had learnt to conduct his electricity and control it inside his body, most attacks would be useless. Unless there was too much lightning to control. Nagata threw his head back and breathed in all the energy he could. Before he could attack, a hammering fist punched him into the dirt and the metal man stood over him.

Flame suddenly appeared out of nowhere, the blades on his gloves melting the metal man as they pierced his chest. Seconds after, more men and women dropped and surrounded the team.
"Scatter!" Shouted Friday as he and Flame leaped off the cliff, Flame using his glove blades to break his fall and Friday finding balance on the side and running down at lightning speed.

Strike barged through to the forest, racing away onto hiding. Dan and Cain merged their magic to create a large smokescreen - they escaped and Nagata was growing further behind them. His injury and weight of Arashi pulling him back, he was captured and taken away. The others could do nothing but run for now.

Nagata woke up to a familiar face. A young, pretty and small girl with black hair and deep blue eyes like himself. She wore a Magic Councilwomen outfit and wandered back and forth in front of Nagata and Arashi.

As he fully awoke, she turned to him and two men stood guard by him. She smiled and reached out to him, her hand gently brushing his cheek, "you're alive..." she whispered.
"So are you..." mumbled Nagata as he felt her touch. "Kyū...what happened?"
"My men had to knock you out...sorry. But we didn't know it was you. We were here for him..." her voice turned cold and serious as she looked at Arashi.

"Kyū! It's Arashi! He's no enemy." Nagata explained.
"Save it. He is the enemy, do you not remember what he did?!" Kyū argued.
"But it wasn't his fault! It's-"
"I don't care! It was him! He...he killed Hito...he killed everyone..."
"No...Kyūtī...he didn't...mean to..."
"Whatever. If you're not with me, then I guess you're with him. And he's a wanted mage. Are you?"
Nagata thought hard for a second. "...yes. I guess, I am." He jumped up and kicked a man in the groin then finished him by kneeing him in the face. He broke free of the rope that tied his hands together and shoved the second man into the rock wall several times until blood poured from the back of his head. He slapped Arashi awake and reached out to grab his hand.

Before Nagata could pull Arashi up, Kyūtī shouted to him, "he killed Crystal! Does that not mean anything to you? Does she not?"
"Don't try and manipulate him!" Arashi yelled. "I didn't want to...I-I...Minori..."
"Nagata! Are you really going to give up the life you know now for the man that killed your friends? Crystal...Tetsu...Hito...Akumi. And everyone else in the guild or around at the time. He slaughtered them all! Didn't you love Crystal?"
Nagata stared down at his and Arashi's hands linked together.

Finally, he pulled him up and Arashi walked away hanging his head in shame. Nagata turned to Kyūtī, "yes, I am. Because I know the truth. I, too, hated Arashi like you...but he didn't mean to...he would never do that...after all the years, he would never have done something like that to us. Never. Your hate blinds you. Goodbye, Kyū. I'm glad you survived."

Arashi and Nagata walked away into the forest, disappearing among the bushes and trees. Kyūtī balled up her fist and growled, "alright, Nagata. Side with the enemy. Make yourself a traitor to your Kingdom. After I report this, everyone in Fiore will know you as an enemy to them. Good luck with that!"