Chapter 1

"And the danger is that in this move toward new horizons and far directions, that I may lose what I have now, and not find anything except loneliness." - Sylvia Plath, The Unabridged

*Sakura's POV*

"Yes! I did it!" I jumped around with a big grin on my face. After years of work and research I finally managed to create an artificial heart made of Hashirama Senju's cells. I watched the heart beating by itself and pumping artificial blood through some tubes attached to it. This new discovery was a great step ahead for Konoha and for it's medicine. They could heal their ninjas and save many lives. If something as difficult as a heart was created, I was sure that I could reproduce other vital organs too.

"Sakura, hurry and change your clothes. The Uchihas will arrive any minute now." my mom told me from behind my laborator's door. I sighed. I looked at my lab robe which was soaked with artificial blood. I was lucky that it hasn't got in my hair too, I didn't have time for another shower. I was glad that I finished my experiment just in time. After today, I have to go to Konoha to live with the Uchiha family and get to know my fiance. I've never seen him just like any person from that clan, but my trusted friend Ino told me that I'm lucky that I got my hands on him. She said that those two brothers are the most handsome men from Konoha and that every girl drools over them. At first, she was quite jealous considering that she had a crush on him since they were 5 but slowly, she got used to the idea. Staying in Konoha would mean seeing Ino more often so I was kinda happy but on the other hand, I had no say in my father's choice. I got along with it just because I know the gravity of the problem. Still, it hurts thinking that I won't get to marry from love and I won't do all those lovey-dovey things that come naturally. I unplugged the tubes and put the heart in a wooden box. I will show it to the Godaime Hokage.

I went out of the lab, going straight to my room and putting the wooden box in my luggage. I stripped off my clothes and I got dressed in a pink kimono with pale pink cherry blossoms on it. I looked at myself in the mirror. I hope they won't hate me.

I got out of the room, my mother and father were waiting by the opened door. I saw a group of four people approaching. As they entered our home, my mother greeted them cheerfully, a big grin planted on ther face.

"Mikoto, hello. It's good to see you again. Welcome to our home." they hugged. My father shook the oldest man's hand.

"Fugaku, it's nice to see you again after such a long time." he nodded, a shadow of a smile on his lips.

They turned their attention to me. The woman called Mikoto came and hugged me tight.

"Hello, dear. You are so beautiful." I hugged her back. Fugaku just nodded.

"Meet my sons. He is Sasuke, your fiance." from behind came a boy who was the same age as me. He had black hair with some spikes like a duckbutt and some bangs covering his left eye. He wore a black cloak and under it he had a black shirt and black ninja pants. He bowed and gave me a smile that I could tell it was fake or forced.

"Miss Haruno." he took my hand and kissed it. I blushed. Ino was right, he is very handsome.

"And he is my older son, Itachi."  from behind Mikoto came a man taller than Sasuke. He had black long hair which was in a loose ponytail, onyx eyes, two big lines across his cheeks like he hasn't slept in weeks and his skin was a shade darker than Sasuke's. Despite his flaws he was breathtaking as well. The Uchihas had some fine men. His attire was the same as his brother's, minus the cloak. He bowed and kissed my hand too. Unlike his brother's, his smile was genuine.

"Dinner is ready. I am sure you are tired and hungry from your short trip." my mom said capping her hands together.

She led us all to the dinning room where we took our seats. I sat between my father and Itachi and Sasuke sat across from me. The servants gave us our food and our parents started to chat. Sasuke looked at me bored and not interested at all. I let my head down, playing with my fingers. Itachi noticed my discomfort.

"So, Sakura, tell me... How did you evolved as a medical ninja?" he asked me looking into my eyes. I blushed.

"I was trained by many medical ninjas that my father hired." I said, trying to seem confident.

He smiled kindly.

"I see. People in Konoha said that you surpassed the Hokage." my cheeks turned a shade darker.

"I-um... I don't think that."

He turned his attention to Sasuke, giving him a death glare. Sasuke sighed and pulled a forced smile again.

"Miss Sakura, here is a gift from our family." he said coming near me and handing me a box wrapped in dark blue paper. All the attention was on me.

"Open it." Mikoto said excited.

I slowly unwrapped the paper and opened the box. Inside, were some medical tools. I smiled happily.

"I love it." I said towards Mikoto.

"Itachi choose it. I wanted to buy a yukata but he said that you would like these more." I turned to face him and smiled warmly.

"Thank you, Itachi-kun." he nodded.

After dinner, my mother led the Uchihas to their rooms. As I was passing by Sasuke's room I heard him arguing with his older brother.

"Sasuke, listen. You may not like her but you mustn't forget you manners. You will be the head of the clan one day and you have the responsibility of gaining Konoha's trust if you want to lead."

"I don't want to lead. Why am I the one who should get married?" he spat angrily.

"You know why..." his brother told him, his voice almost breaking. There was a short pause.

"Fine, nii-san. I'm doing this for you. But don't ask me to adore her because I won't." he said, this time softer. ''Marriage is not what I want in this life. I seek adventure. I have no reason to love her or to be loved by her.''

"You don't have to. Arigato, Sasuke."

I ran as fast as I could to my room and I closed my door. I pressed my back to it and I let my tears flow. I knew it. I wouldn't expect someone from a respectable and powerful clan to like me anyway but hearing it out loud, hurt even more. I thought that I can grow to love him, but now I know that is impossible. I'm forced to marry a man that hates me. He will spend his life forced to be tied to me for the sake of his own clan. Kami, I don't know what I will do...