Chapter 9

"When you loved someone and had to let them go, there will always be that small part of yourself that whispers: What was it that you wanted and why didn't you fight for it?" - Shannon L. Alder

Itachi slowly opened his eyes looking around. For some seconds, he couldn't remember where he was or what happened but it all clicked when he notices some strands of pink hair brushing against the skin of his hand. The thick curtains were closed, only some rays of the moonlight getting through them. It was a calm atmosphere. He slowly took off his oxygen mask. His lungs filled with the scent of blood. It was so strong that it almost made him cough. A smile crept on his face, it's been so long since he could feel any change of smell in the air. He inhaled deeply, trying to get used to the new refreshing sensation.

He observed that Sakura was holding tight his hand. Her other hand was resting on her lap, straining her beautiful dress with his blood. He took the opportunity to caress her hair. She was so beautiful when she was asleep even though under that, laid a determined warrior. She murmured something and opened her eyes, looking up at him. Kami, her tired eyes lit up with so much light when she saw him awake. Her heart started drumming in her chest, and her lower lip trembled from emotion. She didn't know what to tell him, especially after they shared that kiss. She studied his face closely, making sure that it isn't a dream.

Her hands found their way on both of his cheeks, making him smirk.

"It worked. You are alive." her eyes widened like she didn't expect this.

"How are you feeling?"

"Like I was reborn." he answered sincerly. "Arigato, Sakura." he whispered. Her eyes traveled to his lips, their faces getting closer when they heard a door slamming shut, bringing them back to reality. She jumped back slightly like his touch could burn her. And it could, but in a good way.

"Nii-san?" they heard Sasuke's steps stopping in front of his door. Sakura sat back on the chair and cleared her throat, trying to look unbothered. She nodded towards Itachi.

"Come in." he told his little brother.

The doorknob twisted.

"Ita-" his words were cut by the gore scene in front of him. The bed sheets were strained in blood and so was Sakura's hand.

"Sakura, are you alright?" Sasuke hurried to her side, worried. He lifter her bloody hand, his eyes widening in concern.

"I'm fine." she said with a smile on her face. Itachi watched sadly the scene between them. His brother really looked concerned. Could he catch feelings for her? He felt an arrow in his chest. Now that he will get to live, he will be forced to see and hear about their happy marriage everyday. He can't stand it. Perhaps he will start to travel the world, he always wanted to, anyway. But he started to worry about how his relationship with other women will be. He can't love (not that he ever did) another woman, he can't sleep with another woman and he doesn't want to be touched by another woman because of her. He already can feel the cringe. He can imagine how he would probably moan her name if he would sleep with another one. How can he live like this? Maybe all of this was a mistake.

"Then what's going on?" he asked still not convinced. Sakura's loving eyes moved to Itachi and he could feel the butterflies in his belly. No, it wasn't his imagination, she felt it too. It was right there, in her eyes.

"I healed him." she said with a wide grin. Sasuke's eyes widened.

"H-how?"

She pointed towards the wooden box.

"The artificial organs that I made."

He knew that his future wife was brilliant and never doubted her. He started chuckling, lifting her in the air, making her scream of surprise and giggling. He spinned her around, her hair flying in the air.

After he put her back down on her feet, he caught her face with both of his hands and pulled her into a kiss. Her smile faded, her open eyes looking at Itachi. Pain was written all over his face and she could swear that she saw a tear rolling down his face. Sasuke pulled apart and put his forehead on hers with his eyes still closed. Good thing, he couldn't see her sorrow.

"Arigato, Sakura." he whispered.

***One day before the wedding***

The past month was hard for both Sakura and Itachi. Whenever she wanted to speak with him and confess, she was dragged by Mikoto, Fugaku or Sasuke to discuss wedding business. He understood, but it still hurt him. She saw it in his eyes too, he felt it too. The feeling was mutual but none of them could speak about it. It would mean crushing a future arranged marriage. But she considered it fair that he would at least had the right to know, even if it would mean that both of them would end hurt. She didn't want to get married. She often thought about running away with him from responsibilities, but he was a powerful Uchiha and was expected to act like one. He wouldn't drop everything for a foolish little girl.

Right now, she tried her beautiful white wedding dress. It looked exquisite, but it wasn't enough to make her shine. She needed him. She needed real and mutual feelings to shine. Even Mikoto saw that that spark was missing from her apparence and from her eyes.

"Don't you like it?" she asked Sakura disappointed. The Uchiha girls worked day and night to make the perfect dress. Itachi was watching her with his sad eyes and his arms crossed. She looks stunning, he envy his brother.

She put on a fake smile which he detected.

"No, it's perfect. Thank you, Mikoto-san."

Mikoto smiled brightly. She hated to lie to such a sweet creature like her future mother in law, but it wasn't her fault. You can not control with whom you fall in love.

"She looks beautiful, doesn't she, Itachi?" Mikoto turned to her older son, smiling brightly. Only Sasuke knew that he was cured. Maybe if he told them there was still time... No. He won't be a burden. He put on a fake smile as well.

"Just like a precious diamond." he held her gaze, making her blush.

He felt something in his throat that he couldn't explain. His heart and hopes were wrecked. He made his plan to leave Konoha right after the wedding. Maybe convince them that he died and never come to see them again. To see her, how she will grow old happy with his brother. The only woman that he ever loved, bearing the children of another man. He felt the corners of his eyes itching but it took all his power to hold back and not to collapse and beg in front of her.

He was destined to never be happy, to live a lonely life. He will embrance his destiny... Tomorrow.

______________________________

Oh noooo, what will happen with them?