Chapter 4

"The present changes the past. Looking back you do not find what you left behind." - Kiran Desai, The Inheritance of Loss

*Sakura's POV*

*3 days later*

I was sitting on the wooden porch which led to the beautiful garden. I inhaled the Cherry Blossom scent, filling my nostrils. Everything was so calm. Since my incident with Itachi I didn't want to train anymore. It's been three days and me and Itachi haven't changed a word. I tried to avoid him at all costs. The only times that we were in the same room was at dinner but Mikoto and Fugaku kept asking me questions about myself so I didn't pay attention to him but I could feel his gaze on me, studying my every move and watching me closely like he wanted to catch me doing something wrong. It made me feel uncomfortable. His onyx eyes burning through my skull, reading my mind. It was driving me insane. Mikoto told me that he is now the captain of ANBU and this explains everything. He left yesterday to an important mission. Fugaku was at work and Mikoto was out with some friends, leaving me alone at home. I sighed.

I heard the glass door being opened and some steps approaching me. Someone sat near me on the porch. I looked at my right and there he was. The person that I tried to avoid. He was dressed in his ANBU uniform.

I played with my fingers not knowing how to start a conversation with him.

"I am sorry." he suddenly said. My head snapped in his direction with my eyes  so wide open that I thought they will pop out of my skull.

He was looking at his feet.

"I should have warned you about what will happen. And... I am sorry that you think like that of me." wow, an Uchiha apologizing. This is rare.

I shook my head.

"No. I am sorry." he looked in my direction.

"I should have been more open about my past. I never thought that you could do that, it's just a trauma..." he studied my eyes searching for a hint.

"A trauma?"

"Yes. You see... When I was sixteen my parents hired a high ranked medic ninja from Suna to help me control the Byakugou seal since the Godaime couldn't help me. He tried to rape me. He pinned me down and I struggled to get out of his grip but I was too weak. I reached a kunai and I killed him by stabbing him in the throat. It was... So much blood..." I started sobbing when my memories flew through my mind. I hugged my own body with my arms, letting my head down. The tears were hitting my bare knees.

"I-i murdered someone. I..." I started to tremble uncontrolablly.

I felt two strong arms wrapping around me and hugging me.

"I am so sorry that you had to get through this. Don't worry, you are safe now. Me and Sasuke will make sure of that." he told me in a soft tone which made me relax a bit.

"He doesn't like me."

Itachi pulled apart and looked into my eyes worried.

"He will learn to like you and perhaps love you. Excuse my brother but the Uchihas were taught from a young age to show no feelings and no emotions. It's in the blood of our clan. They say that it makes us stonger because the more attachments you have, the weaker you are."

I nodded. He was right but I still couldn't comperhed how it's so easy for them to do so. I am an emotional wreck since I know myself. I wiped my tears and I gave him a smile. He looked surprised.

"I am going to talk to the Hokage today. Tell your mother not to wait for me." I shouted as I ran back in, taking my bag, putting my ninja boots on and heading for The Hokage's Tower.

I knocked twice and The Hokage's voice boomed thorugh the door telling me to come in.

I went inside, taking small steps. She kept a stern face as she watched me and I gulped. All my confidence was suddenly gone. She was so intimidating.

"Lady Hokage." I bowed.

"Ah, the Uchiha fiancee." she gave me a small smile.

"I am here to ask you to let me work for the hospital. I think I could contribute a lot since I was trained by high ranked medical ninjas from different countries. I even awoke the Byakugou seal and I managed to create an artificial heart made of Hashirama's cells in my personal laborator." I took out of my bag the wooden box and placed it on her desk carefully.

She opened it and studied the heart.

"Was it tested?"

"Yes. With artificial blood. I think they will work on wounded ninjas who come from missions. Also, I think I could make other organs too." she watched me with a proud smirk on her face.

"Alright. You are in. Go to the next door on the left and talk to Shizune. She will assign you as soon as she can. We could really use such a talented ninja." I smiled happily.

*Two days later*

I was walking on the long corridor of the hospital. It was silence. The patients were sleeping and I had a ten minutes break. The usual smell of hospital filled my nostrils. My shift ended in the morning but I didn't mind. I loved working here even though it was my first day. People are so friendly and I got to see Naruto again when he came for a check up.

I made my way to the exit to take some fresh air when a team of doctors passed by me in a hurry with a wounded patient.

"Haruno, hurry. It's an emergency!" one of them screamed. I rushed after them in a room with double doors.

"His heart can't hold it anymore!" a female voice shouted.

I rushed to the patient side and I froze. Sasuke was lying there unconscious, his clothes soaked with blood, his skin pale as snow.