Chapter 20

"I realized when you look at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know." - Mitch Albom, For one more day

It was 9 PM and Itachi was watching the Konoha hospital from a random rooftop. The wind blew through his long black hair. The stars above created a beautiful scenery in combination with the Hokage mountain. He inhaled deeply. He missed home so much. It's been such a long time since he relaxed and walked casually through the village's streets with no worry. All of this before he got sick and before he met her.

The clueless village was so quiet and unaware of the intruder who could easly end it. He hated the fact that it was so easy to sneak in. It didn't grant so much safety for his loved one.

Inside the hospital, the pinkette just waved at the nurses who just started their shift. She was happy to head home after such a long and troublesome day. She wanted to hug her daughter then lay in bed and fall asleep.

She stepped outside, letting the chilly air brush her skin. Her steps echoed through the empty streets. There were no lights, but for an unknown reason, she felt safe for the first time.

Itachi's eyes softened as soon as they landed on the pink beauty. She was humming a melody as she was walking back home.

He followed her and watched every step. His chest clentched knowing that perhaps he won't ever come back home and see her pretty face smiling at him. Probably she would be afraid of him now.

Sakura took her keys out and opened the front door, illuminating the porch. She stepped inside and closed it behind.

Itachi sat down on the rooftop, watching her through the window, as she started preparing a sandwich in the kitchen.

Sasuke came into view and gave her a light smile.

"Are you gonna stay here all night and watch her?" a voice came from behind him. He turned to Kisame who wore his usual smirk.

Behind Itachi, inside Sakura's home, Sarada ran to her mother and junped into her arms, almost making her drop the sandwich. Kisame saw the scene but chose to remain quiet.

"Leader-sama has a mission for us tomorrow. We have to retreive a scroll." Irachi just nodded.

Sarada gave her mother a small kiss on the cheek and ran upstairs, out of their view.

Itachi turned back, facing the pinkette who only laughed at something that Sasuke said.

A chill ran down her spine. She moved her gaze out of the window, looking at the opposite rooftop but no one was there. Itachi and Kisame were already gone.

"Are you alright?" Sasuke put a hand on her lower back.

"Yeah, I felt someone watching but it was only my imagination."

"Hn, you must be tired. Get some rest."

She nodded slowly.

***

The morning came fast and Sarada was already up, begging her mother to teach her some medical ninjutsu to be above the other teams. She also wanted Sakura to teach her how to store chakra for the Byakugou seal.

Sakura brought her some medical books.

"Alright, you already have a good chakra control but you have to learn every instruction."

Sarada sweatdropped.

"All of it?"

"Yes. It took me some years but you have a higher level of intelligence from your father so it shouldn't take you that long." a shiver ran down Sakura's spine as she mentioned him.

"Mama?" Sarada noticed that her mother's mood changed. The pinkette put on a fake smile.

"Will I awake the Shringan? Uncle has it but did my father have it?"

Memories with Itachi's Sharingan staring deep into her green orbs ran through her mind.

"Yes, he did." she smiled sadly. "I can't say if you will. You are only half blood Uchiha."

Sarada nodded.

"But how was he? You never talked about him. Why did he leave us?" she felt her tears threatening to spill. "He didn't love me, did he?" the little raven moved her gaze to the floor.

"No, don't say that. He would have adored you. He just... Didn't know that I was pregnant when he left." she bit her lip.

"Then what was the reason? Moreover, why don't I have grandparents from uncle's side? Were they orphans?"

Sakura didn't know what lie to invent. The truth was too harsh even for a smart child like her.

"Um, they... Died in the war and your father... Well he... He sacrificed himself to stop that war."

What Sakura didn't know was that she was so close to the truth, even through her invented lie.

"H-he was a hero." she continued, hoping that she will believe.

"This isn't fair!" Sarada shouted standing up and hitting her fist on the table. Her agressive gesture took her by surprise. Her daughter was always so calm. Tears were present in her eyes.

"Why him, from all the people? Why would a man with a pregnant wife choose to do this?" her voice cracked and her body started to tremble. "Everyone... Has a dad but me. It hurts. They were always picked up from the Academy or walking around the village with them and I was alone." she hugged her own fragile body. "I just wanted him to hug me when he comes home from a mission. I woudn't even care if that mission lasted weeks. I would have been thankful that I have him." the tears soaked her face. "My uncle... Yeah, he's a good man but it's not the same. I don't feel that type of connection that a father and a daughter should have. And when I was sick and got these glasses? You had to take care of me alone. To cry and watch over me, to struggle..." she bit her lower lip.

"You are such a kind person mama, and I am just a freaking burden to you. Why did he let you pregnant in the first place? So you can struggle alone? I wish I was never born so you could have an easier life. I hate him..."

Sakura hugged her daighter, crying.

"Don't say that, Sarada. From the moment that I found out that I'm pregnant I was the happiest woman. You are not a burden. You are the proof of the love that was between me and your father and I don't regret anything. I am sorry that I'm distant and sometimes it doesn't seem like it, but I couldn't picture my life without you. If you wouldn't exist, I would have no reason to live." she buried her face in her daughter's hair. "You are the most beautiful gift that he ever gave me. And... Don't hate him. Because he blessed me to have you."

"Mama..." she cried, hugging her mother tighter. "I am sorry..." she whispered.

They pulled apart.

"Don't be. I am not the perfect mother either, but I try my best."

"No, you are the perfect mother."

Sakura smiled through tears.

"Thank you for filling the emptiness from my heart and life, Sarada." she wiped her tears and giggled.

"Now back to learning. You can't learn medical ninjutsu through hugging." the pinkette laughed.

"Yes, mama!"