Chapter 17

"I had a daddy, didn't I? He wasn't perfect and he certainly wasn't the one I'd dreamed he would have been, but I had one all the same. And I'd love him as much as I'd hated him, hadn't I? All that distance, all that time wasted, but the fact that he'd inspired such passion in me meant something in itself. I can honestly say now that I think that's special." - Melodie Ramone, After Forever Ends

*10 years later*

"Boruto, you are really a loser. Now we lost the bear and can't send him towards Konohamaru sensei." the black haired girl with glasses sighed.

Mitsuki watched them both arguing again, trying to make up a plan to finish their stupid mission.

"I thought it would work, dattebasa!"  Boruto said disappointed, moving his gaze to the ground. "Oi, is your uncle back yet, Sarada? I want to ask him to train me." the blond boy blushed, scratching his head awkwardly.

"Tomorrow he will be back."

"Why is he always gone, anyway?" Boruto mumbled "If he keeps things like this, he won't be able to train me and I won't be able to defeat my father."

Sarada sighed. "I don't know. He never speaks to me about those things. The only thing that I know from mama is that he's seeking a certain criminal." she looked up at the sky.

"That's it!" Mitsuki smiled brightly gaining their attention. "We will search different areas. Boruto, search the woods, Sarada will go up high and I will go to the river." the snake child pointed to a high rock.

"Alright! Let's do this!" Boruto shouted excited and started running.

Sarada climbed the huge grey rock, watching over the green forest. As she got at the top, she observed a man dressed in black who was sitting casually at the edge of it, his legs hanging. He observed everything from that spot, he even knew that this little girl will climb up there.

He didn't look dangerous, she thought. His long black hair was tied in a loose ponytail. He sighed. It's like she could feel his sadness from afar.

"Are you alright?" she asked the man who turned his head a bit and gave her a genuine smile. It gave her confidence. His smile was so warm and gentle, almost familiar.

She took a seat next to him, narrowing her eyes at the forest and trying to spot the bear.

"So... What are you doing here? Are you from Konoha?" she knew it was rude to interogate him, especially when he seemed like he was no threat, but she had a strage feeling in her chest that pushed her to try to find more about him.

"I like the nature. It's my favorite activity being out here. And to answer your second question, yes, I am from Konoha." his raspy voice answered the curious girl. Her eyes widened in surprise. It was a casual question, she didn't really expect him to be from the village.

"Why are you sad? I can sense it."

He smiled at the 9, almost 10 years old girl. "Hn, I just miss someone dear to me." he answered truthfully, frowning. Flashbacks of that night came back into his mind. All these years he cried himself to sleep almost every night. He hated himself for hurting and lying to her. Yes, she probably forgot about him by now and moved on, but he couldn't. It was his first and only love. She hated him, no doubt.

"Hm. It's like when mama goes on missions for weeks and I miss her..." she frowned. "I could say that I miss my father too, but I never met him." she felt the corners of her eyes itching at the realization that she had no father and that Boruto is an ungrateful brat for not treasuring his.

"I am sorry to hear that." his face softened.

"Yeah, me too. I heard that he was a great guy. But I don't quite know what happened to him." a few droplets of tears fell on hed bare knees. She wiped her face.

"S-sorry. I get emotional when I think of him."

She spotted the bear and got up on her feet.

"Oh, there it is. I gotta go." she started running.

Itachi watched the little girl leaving and he couldn't put his finger on that strange connection that he felt. Could it be the fact that she didn't know that he was a part of a dangerous organization and was so kind to him? No, it wasn't this but whatever it was, it intrigued him. Who was this girl? Maybe she had some awesome powers?

***

The night arrived and Sarada entered her home, exhausted.

"Hello, Sarada. Dinner is ready." her pink haired mother announced, stepping in the hallway with a huge grin on her lips.

"I am not hungry, I just want to sleep." she complained, taking off her ninja boots. She knew better not to anger her mother but at this point, she was too exhausted to care.

"I think you should eat." came a voice from the dinning room, followed by the raven haired man.

"Uncleeee, you're back!" she jumped in his arms happily. He smiled at his niece. "I thought you said that you'll be gone for two weeks." she asked confused. Sakura's eyes moved to him, just as confused as her daughter. He sighed.

"Yes, but I tracked his chakra somewhere in the nearby. I can't let the village unprotected. Who knows what he can do."

Sarada's eyes moved to her mother to observe her face changing. Her eyes became full of sorrow and her lower lip started to tremble. It was incredible what an impact he still had on her even after 10 years. She hasn't stopped loving him not even for a second and a meeting between them, will wreck her. She didn't believe his stupid reason for doing what he did and she wanted to find out the truth. The excuse that he used... Not even a child would believe him but Sasuke did. And it filled him with hatred. She just had to get to him before Sasuke and try to have a normal conversation.

"After 10 years..." she whispered, closing her eyes.

_______________________________

Maybe I'll make some fillers for what happened in between. :)