Prologue

People all around were whispering quietly to each other. Some were gasping in horror while others were just plainly amused. The salty taste lingered in my mouth as I breathed heavily, swallowing my own iron-full blood down. 

"So girly, are you finally gonna make a move?" He muttered with a sickening grin spreading across that stupid face of his. His fists were covered in blood, my blood. In his other hand, he held a loaded shotgun. I guess that was supposed to intimidate me or something.

I exhaled and sat up, straightening my back as I peered at him like a cheeky 6 year old. 

"What is this? Are you telling me that this is what I'm supposed to be up against?" He bent down and grabbed my collar, pulling me up back onto my feet. In fact, he was so tall that I had to tip-toe to reach his eye level. 

His other hand dropped the shot gun to the ground with a thump! and swooped over to brush the annoying hair out of my face. His eyes narrowed as he stared into my dark ones. He was trying to seek for something. 

"Do you admit defeat?" 

I forced my throbbing jaw into a cocky smile, revealing my bloody teeth. He looked at me, a little puzzled while the wind picked up his blond-ish front locks and swept it aside.

"Are you really this weak? I can't believe it..." He muttered under his breath. 

I stood there stiffly as everyone around the square continued watching with their various expressions. I seemed half-dead as I tilted my head to the side lifelessly, my collar still tightly in his grip. 

He shook me a little in disbelief. "Hazel, you idiot. Are you dead already?" 

I slowly lifted my head up and faced him again. He still eyed me, but his suspicion level dropped a tad, or at least that was what I sensed.

Tightening my lips, I stared at him with obvious boredom in my eyes along with everyone else in the town square. Man, this was getting tiring.

Just when he was about to release hold of my collar, I pursed my lips and spat on his face. The crowded gasped horrifically, even the blond-hair bastard himself. 

"What the fuck?" He pushed me away and wiped his face in disgust. 

I landed on my butt, but I ignored the pain anyway. This wasn't the time to be moping about and counting the number of bruises on my face. Laughter escaped into the atmosphere as I was the only one who cracked up at his shocked expression. The obvious anger was starting to cloud within him. 

He jumped back and grabbed his loaded shotgun, aiming it at my head. 

"Girly, you sure have guts." 

I watched his finger trembling on the gun trigger. 

"Dieter, just stop it already! It's over, isn't it?" One of the trainees called out hesitantly from behind. 

I crossed my legs on the ground with a smile still plastered on my face. "Just shoot already." I announced in an unusual cheerful voice. 

"Seriously, Hazel. This isn't helping, stop! He has a gun for Christ's sake!!" Bella called out from within the crowd. 

"So what?" I shrugged almost too casually.

Dieter, the blond guy, walked over towards me and smashed the shotgun grip across my face. He gave me a series of kicks before re-positioning the aim at me. This guy doesn’t know when to stop.

"I don't get it. You fail every one of your assessment tasks, yet they never kick you out like everybody else." He interrogated, "You bribed them, didn't you?"