Chapter 6: Winter

I poked my head out of the bundle of covers that wrapped tightly around me, letting out a big yawn. The cold air pinched onto my cheeks immediately and the building was unusually quiet. Why didn’t anyone break down my bedroom door today? Usually Levi would kick open the door in his usual pissed off mood and literally dragged me out of bed. If that didn’t work, he’d bring in a bucket of ice cold water and tip that over me. And for some reason, all of Levi’s tricks always worked for some reason. It was a bit creepy, actually.

If Levi couldn’t be stuffed coming to get me out of bed, he’d get Hanji. The squad leader in glasses would prance onto my bed, using me as a launching cushion or some sort. I would be taking a big risk sleeping in when I was surrounded by the scariest people of the Survey Corps. Sometimes, Hanji gives me more damage in the early morning than an expedition outside the walls, and I’m saying something there.

I lightly hit my cheeks to warm them up from the cold and jumped out of bed, once again landing on the cold wooden floorboard bare feet.  Finally the light flickered on in my head.

Today was break day.

It was that time of year again where even the most badass soldiers of the Survey Corps takes a break from the frostbite weather and headed off to go visit their families.  I mean, who wants to be fighting titans in the snow anyway? It would be fun with the idea of launching a cannonball of snow at some aberrant titans, but boring Commander Erwin would never approve of the idea. Hanji might show some consideration though.

Of course, the entire HQ would be quiet enough to hear a pin drop from Levi’s office. Everybody was off already to visit their families and friends, leaving a few of us behind to mop up our own loneliness.

“Whatever.” I muttered under my breath as I pulled on a sweater to keep me warm.

Realizing something out of the corner of my eye, I instantly turned my attention towards the window, which was still undraped since my first day here by the way. My eyes widen as I stared at the scenery outside, completely amazed.

Unable to suppress my urge, I pried open the window and let the cool breeze hurl inside the room. I shivered to the cold wind, but that didn’t stop me from reaching out to catch the little flecks of snow that landed on my hands, already beginning to melt in my palms.

The whole training field, where the first time I fought Levi outside, was completely covered in a perfect patch of white. Winter is the most beautiful season ever, not to mention that Christmas was coming soon.

Holy shit. Christmas. The time of the year where I rush around getting crappy last minute gifts for everyone. 

I closed the window and ran over to the other side of the room to pull on my winter boots and a furry coat.

Who cares about breakfast now when it’s snowing outside?

The corridor practically echoed with every heavy step I took as I ran through, expecting someone to jump out of their stupid office and shake their fists at me, screaming for me to stop. I finally reached the double doors that separated the outside winter wonderland from the warm and well-lit Survey Corps HQ.

Allow me to do the honours.

I raised my leg and kicked open the doors, gasping as the cold air hit my face. Adjusting the furry hoodie around my head, I took another long glance at the winter scenery that confronted me.

It was beautiful. It was so beautiful. The whole landscape was covered in a perfect, fresh white layer of snow. Completely untouched, undisrupted. I know it’s quite immature for me to say this at my age, but I was so excited to be the first one to stomp my footprints in the snow, ruining that undisrupted aura. I’ll be the first one to ruin everything.