Chapter 10: Black [Expedition Pt.2]

The wind started to pick up again, gently sweeping its coolness across my face. I watched the flapping green capes of Levi and Nanaba as they rode before me. Their postures were completely still and silent, except for their cape and hair which naturally gets caught in the passing wind.

Far off in the distance, a gunshot-like sound resonated within the radius of my hearing ability, making me turn my attention towards the North Wing of the formation group. My eyes examined the thick trail of green smoke that secreted into the clear sky along with the many other flares from the relaying soldiers.

“Hazel, fire your flare.” Levi instructed me from his position.

Nodded silently in comply, I reached down for my thick barrelled flare gun, loading it up. With a hand against my ear, I raised my arm towards the sky’s direction and pulled the trigger, watching my own track of green puff ascending up nature’s blue dome. The smoke was in a triggering Kelly green, but any other colour variations would have had a much more dire effect.

Red for a titan.

Black for an aberrant.

And yellow for a mission termination.

So far, there was not one red flare to be seen in the sky, which was more than I could hope for. Let’s just pray that green signals would dominate the entire operation, although I knew that was absolutely impossible.

The sound of more gun-shots echoed throughout the titan territory. A small smile grew on my face as I counted the many green trails in the sky. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Green flares from the alerted soldiers extended across the formation group towards the Western Wing, the formation side I was at the start of the day.

I titled my head, expecting to see another puff of green smoke from Stefan and Bella’s troupe. My hand immediately dropped my reign and hovered over my set of blades when my eyes recognized something else.

Red.

Titan spotted.

There goes my bet for a green all the way expedition.

I exhaled, trying to not stress myself out. That red flare was from the far side of the Western division. So if the titan managed to get all the way here to the South, it would take at least some time for it to reach us. Although I talked myself down, I still kept my awareness in a considerably high level.

My pupils were immediately drawn to the resonance of another signal flare from the West. My prayers haven’t been answered.

Black.

A red flare followed by a black. That wasn’t too much of a good sign. There must be more coming, there has to be. This was titan territory after all.

Naturally, I jolted up a little due to my instincts of nearing presence. The ground felt like it was vibrating.

Pulsing.

Moving.

No fucking way.

My eyes shifted behind and all around me, closely observing the green grasslands enclosing us all. At first, my eyes detected nothing irregular. But my hands immediately drew out my blades as I saw the tall, fleshy figure emerging from the far shrubbery. It sprinted like a hard core athlete, bolting after us like we were the golden cup.