Chapter 5: Soirée Pt. 1

I looked at myself in the mirror, my heart sinking as I observed the amount of skin the skimpy dress was displaying.

There were sudden footsteps coming closer before the door got flung open, and I immediately threw my covers over me in embarrassment and shame. Hanji’s cheeky face appeared as she scanned me head to toe teasingly.

“You don’t look too bad, Hazel…” She stroke her chin with an amused expression.

That look on her face as she eyed my chest sent a wash of red over my face. I just knew she was gonna put it out there.

“Haven’t developed yet, have you?” She laughed.

I didn’t know if I should just kick her in the face angrily or beg her to shut up and leave my room.

“Hanji,” I pleaded, clasping my shaking hands together, “I don’t wanna go out there.”

Her smiling look slowly faded as she realized I was actually serious. “Why? Are you too shy?”

She walked over and slowly pulled the covers away from me, my face still burning from disgrace. The last time I wore a dress was when I was about 9, and it was a decent one too with tights and long sleeves; not this cocktail entertaining crap.

She swept my hair away from my reddened face and cupped her hands on my cheeks playfully, but her voice was serious.

“You’re really pretty, you know? And you’re smart too, that’s a pretty deadly combo.”

I sighed and looked down, feeling even more awkward and embarrassed. I’m not much of a compliment person, they just make me feel so stroppy and on the spot. I’d rather offer that spotlight for someone else and take the shadows. Taking deep breaths to calm myself down, I looked up at her again.

“Can’t I just wear my uniform?”

Hanji chuckled at my question heartily, the silky ribbon waving in the air around her ponytail.

“You’re really the first girl to ask me that, Hay-hay. All girls want to pretty themselves up, at least for the commander and the other squad leaders,”

She nudged my arm playfully, “especially for that shortie corporal, he’ll be looking forward to it.”

The shortie corporal.

That just did it. I yanked onto her ponytail with an annoyed expression, trying to make her stop. But being the usual Hanji, she simply slapped my hand away, snickering even harder. I just stood there helplessly watching her hug her sides in hilarity.

“Joke’s over.” I retorted as placed my hands on my hips, trying to tone in that serious, genuine voice I’ve been practising. Hanji needs to know when to stop.

She wiped her tears of laughter away behind her glasses as she calmed down.

“Oh Hazel,” She took a few locks of my hair as she started braiding it, “You try so hard sometimes to cover up-”

I placed my palm in front of her face, indicating her to stop.

“He’s my superior just in case if you still couldn’t get that in your head, he’s not a teddy bear!”

“Oh, I so ship you two.” Obviously she so didn’t get any of that as she stuck her tongue out at me, which I returned an ominous glare at.

Hanji swiftly finished the last few parts of the braid and curled it around my head, tucking it down at the back. She nippily jumped back in front of me and admired her work proudly. I let out a displeased grunt, “Now what?”