Chapter 4: Wings of Freedom

“Ok brat. Pay attention.”

Levi walked into the room with a heap of paperwork and dropped them onto the table with a loud thump!

 He watched in disgust as little flecks of dust floated visibly in the sunlight shining through the window. 

I looked at the big pile of papers neatly stacked up. Today Levi was supposed to give me a lesson on how to write reports after exhibitions outside the walls, but my attention span doesn’t last very long, especially when the stack was nearly as tall as the corporal himself. Levi’s expression darkened even more as he notices my eyes switching between the big paper stack to him every now and then, comparing the height differences.

 “Tch.”

Occasionally I would get side-tracked, like playing around with the feather pens or going to the restroom a bit too often. Writing reports weren’t my thing. In fact, it got to the stage where Levi got so irritated with my tendency to get distracted that he actually made himself work next to me, occasionally giving me the do-your-work-or-else-you’re-fucked gawk to keep me on track.

There was the sound of new footsteps entering the room, which naturally made me look up from my boring pile of papers. Levi didn’t seem very interested though. My eyes scanned at the calm face of Mike Zacharius, whose eyes directly stared back at me.

“I heard that there was a new recruit.”

Levi pointed a finger at me, still reading through the papers in his hands.

Mike strolled around the table towards my seat. When he finally reached me and stood facing me, I realized that he was a lot taller than I thought. How hard must it be for Levi to be working with all these people that are like man-size titans to him.

The tall blond bloke reached his hand out, expecting me to acknowledge and shake it. His eyes looked down at me, which made me feel quite small and intimidated. But nevertheless, I showed no signs of intimidation and hurriedly took his hand in a quick mutual hand shake before swatting it away awkwardly.

“Nice to meet you.” I muffled and faced my papers again.

There was a sniffling noise beside me and I stayed completely still, hoping it’s not that I think it is. I slowly looked to my left where Mike’s tall figure was, still keeping my face down at the papers. I sensed his face shifting near mine, sniffing my hair. A blush of red washed over my face in disgust and slight embarrassment.

“This smells… this smells like-” He began, but I scrunched my hands into fists and punched him in the face before he could finish.

“Y-you pervert…” I hissed, scrunching up my nose in revulsion.

He stumbled back in shock and rubbed his nose, chuckling.

“Man, you sure can punch. Or is it just natural girls’ instincts?”

I cautiously watched as Mike stabilized his steps on the ground. I could feel myself tense up, curling my toes together in my boots as I watched this sickening man in front of me. I tightly gripped onto the edge of my seat. If anything happens, I can always hurl a chair over at him.

The tall blonde laughed as he continued to rub his reddened nose.

“Yeah, and she can potentially beat your sniffing ass down too.” Levi turned around and observed him with his same bored expression.