Chapter 13: The Monster Inside Pt.2 [Expedition Pt.5]

The sound of human bones breaking pulled my attention back, my pupils dilating in wrath at the droplets of blood spilling from its huge mouth into the scene like the cherry blossoms in high budding season. The entire place was drenched in the smell of iron as another innocent soul was swallowed. My body was involuntarily cutting through the air on its own, dodging the flinging arms of the titan’s from behind whereas my mind was as brittle as fragile glass. 

The tattered cape fluttered in the breeze as I caught sight of the blood stained Wings of freedom imprint behind me for a second. The same Wings of Freedom the little girl in the town square was so idolizing of. The same Wings of Freedom that everyone was dying in order for its name to become a factual statement of humanity.

No… I muttered between my gritted teeth.

I can’t stop now.

I didn’t fight all the way here just to die.

I refuse for my name to be carved onto a tombstone, not now. Just not now. I must reach the top of the food chain; I must crush those titans under my foot.

I cursed under my breath at the stupid creature behind me, drawing my blades as I’ve pieced and glued myself back together with my unrealistic unfulfilled desires heaping up. We were all born kicking and screaming. We were all meant to be exposed out in the cold and cruelty of the world, waiting to finally drown and numb ourselves out of our pain. That was our fate, was it not? Society has taught me not to cry anymore, because no matter how loud I scream… no one will come. Anger will become my ultimate strength.

With one big gasp, I bent back and accepted the air that cooed the stinging opened wound on my face, my blades firmly in my grip. There was no time to pity myself or mourn for the dead, if I didn’t do it now, I would never get another chance. The sound of air hissing persistently resonated out of my tanks by my side as I flew forward through the trees at full speed, waiting for the right time to counter at the dumb creature behind.

My vile dark pupils skimmed across the whole outstretched landscape, taking in the whole forestry in search for my desired prey, the real one lurking behind the mammoth trees with the disloyal heart. This was once my home; these same trees had once provided me shelter when humanity was hunting me down. I should know this place better than anyone else.

The other 7 were nowhere to be seen. I was alone once again. 

This will be my game then; this will be my kill.

It was like a flick of a switch, my eyes flashed for a small fraction of the time ticking as I instantly rotated around, discharging my hooks from the trees that kept me up. Immediately, the wind picked up around me as my small figure soared down through the air for a few seconds and landed accordingly onto the collarbone of the approaching titan, barely missing me when it tried to swallow me whole. My blades easily sunk into its throat as I circled around its neck, pushing my blades deeply into its flesh, causing as much damage as possible. My edges lifted into a sneer as I listen to the ripping of its skin and its roar reverberating throughout the entire timberland of the dead.

The piercing blade easily penetrated the thick rough skin and my eyes traced an invisible line after the piece of fresh blood-spattered flesh flying in the sky. My coils tore through the air once again and speared into a log of timber, sending my sore feet off the nape of its neck as the defeated titan descended towards the ground, disintegrating along with the lifeless broken body of Stefan swallowed whole inside. I held my breath and opened my arms out wide, welcoming the wind that brushed through my fingers as I glided through the air. Nature's sudden offer of serenity was too much in contrast to the bloodshed I've witnessed.