Chapter 9: Initiate [Expedition Pt.1]

“Right kiddo...you excited?” The regular energetic voice of Hanji’s enquired as she bounced up and cupped her hands over my cheeks jokingly.

“No.” 

 “Aww… don’t be so blunt on me, Hay-hay. If we all stick to Erwin, then it’s gonna be all good. You’ll see.” Hanji re-adjusted the collar of my white polo shirt and tucked it in as she said. Her face completely forced into an unbothered expression as she hummed in a sing song tone. She was such a big sisterly type, always fixing up my uniform and checking if I was staying in line.

But I knew Hanji well enough to be able to tell that she was forcing that smile on her face. There was nothing good to look forward to in expeditions, even for an optimist like her. You just die. And if you don’t, you will in the next one. Or the ones after. This was gonna be my first round with the new graduate class who had the guts left to join Survey Corps. And trust me, this will be one heck of an awkward reunion, since I was gonna meet many familiar past faces from my training corps, and they won’t be too happy to see me either.

But still, I’m technically their mentor now, since I’ve graduated earlier than my original training squad.

Hanji read my bitter expression easily as she finished folding my collar out. She bit her lip and looked into my eyes.

“Listen Hazel,” She said in a serious voice; finally using my normal name with no stupid hay-hays or some shit attached to it. She propped both her hands onto my shoulders and looked at me reassuringly.

“Don’t worry about those stupid freaks from your training squad; you’re one of us now. You’re a soldier of the Survey Corps, been fighting by our side all these years. Remember that.”

“I don’t give a shit about them,” I laughed with the effort of masking some spirit into it.

 “And just … just stay alive, will you?” Her eyes widen, showing that she wasn’t joking on this one. “You have to. Don’t pull anything stupid.”

I nodded to her concern.

“You too.” I snickered as I swept her sisterly hands off my shoulders and shot over a consoling smile, heading towards the stables to retrieve my horse.

******

All the Survey Corps, including me and a few other familiar faces I could just recognise from my training squad, were gathered in front of the gates of Wall Maria.

I was kept particularly close to the middle of the formation group on the western side, so I wasn’t that far off from Hanji and Levi’s groups.  In a few minutes, these gates would open and the expedition outside the walls shall begin. Surrounding me were many inexperienced looks, obviously troubled and worried about what they might see outside. 

Obviously titans.

 “Hey,” I felt a nudge on my arm and I turned around, my glare meeting the bright eyes of a young boy, who looked about the same age as me, perhaps a bit older. My eyes took notice of his fair and light ash brown hair, as light as the wads of cotton I’d find at the local trader. He did look somewhat familiar, but I was bad with names. He must have been one of those new graduates joining us on this expedition today. His horse was mounted next to mine as he smiled at me cheerfully.

Pure admiration towards him for his effort in trying to pull the edges of his lips into a beam.

I’m kidding. I don’t even give a rat’s ass.