Chapter 7: Surprise

“Come on, you piece of shit. Wake up.”

The covers were pulled off immediately after that cold voice I’ve grown so used to, leaving me completely exposed to the sunlight coming through that undraped window once again. Somebody seriously has to put some curtains on that thing. I squinted my eyes shut and attempted to cover them with my hands as the bright light invaded my entire vision of the room.  Everything was so bright; it took me a few minutes for my eyes to adjust to the light level.

“What… what time is it?” I murmured sleepily at the short figure standing beside my bed.

“Idiot, it’s already 10.” Levi snapped back as he threw the bed sheets over me, his face secured with that same grim expression everyone had to put up with every day. I really wished he didn’t have to pin on an insult to everything he says.

“What? It’s already 10?!” I coughed in the most alert voice I can pull on, slowly kicking off those stupid clingy covers like I was awake when really, I was just stalling time and trying to get my last few minutes of sleep.

“What did you think?”

I screwed my face up, half surprised and half confused. Levi, surprisingly today, didn’t wake me up at freakin 7 in the morning for so-called work, which if you were wondering: was just more plain boring report writing. I would have been happy he gave me an extra 3 hours today, but that fact bothered me as well. Nothing good ever comes from Levi. He doesn’t just suddenly go Oh! I’m feeling golly today, I shall let all those lazy asses sleep for another 3 hours! And I can NEVER imagine him like that. I would go call an exorcist if something like that ever came up one day.

“What? Did you sleep in too?” I laughed.

Levi crossed his arms and looked down at me, obviously giving me the indication that he wasn’t amused by my comment. “Don’t mix me together with your level of indolence,” using the big word for laziness, “Now move it.”

He turned away and started walking out of the room, muttering under his breath about some lazy pathetic shit or something.

-----------

I dropped the stack of heavy report papers onto the table, paying no attention to the toppling heap and the white sheets that covered the wooden floorings of the room.  I’ve finished today’s work with the report writing and I’m outta here. Stretching and straightening my back, I strolled out of the small little office and headed out the main corridor.

The thick eyebrows of Erwin caught my attention as I saw his tall well-built figure walking towards me. He had another big pile of paper tucked under his arm and I immediately knew more work was coming my way.

I quickly turned around and strolled hurriedly to the other direction. The entire day was spent on writing reports today; I didn’t even know where all this work was coming from. A firm grip was place on my shoulder, stopping me from my little getaway.

“Hazel.” I turned my attention to Erwin behind me. His big blue eyes stared down at mine.

“What is it?”

I watched him helplessly as he reached for the pile of papers tucked under his arm.

“Here. These reports were specifically set aside for you.”