The Final Chapter - A Happy Ending

Indeed, together we have gotten quite far on the timeline of Hazel. Further than I have expected from that impulsive child.

Would be a shame to say we have reached the end, wouldn’t it?

Of course, you as the audience would immediately conclude that I have snatched her soul away into the night, and I will not deny that as it was, to some extent, as true as my existence. 

Even when I wanted to spare her a few more streaks of happiness, I knew that was against my will, and I couldn’t get side-tracked over her helpless restricted vessel. Happiness came with a price, and it was her decision, not mine.

I was only here for a specific task, and we should all know what that was.

It was a shame that Hazel could no longer narrate from this point onwards, or so as I speak. The young clever girl no longer had control over her mind to open the doors through her own perspective. Literally. I am the only one fit for the job now. And I see no other way than to narrate the last ending moments before I finally gain possession over her forever fighting soul.

So without further ado, I present to you,

The Final Chapter.

 ________________________

The raven-haired man, dressed in one of those classy attires consisting another casual suit with the usual cravat sticking out, stared at the girl who sat beside him on the piano stool. His edges were lifted into a faint smile as he observed her awoken state, but he wasn’t sure anymore if he should have been glad, or sunken, or determined, or in despair.

The girl who sat ominously still next to him, glanced down at the monochrome keys, her soul was in no different shade of the black and whites before her. The passion was no longer lit in her eyes. She wasn’t urging to play anymore, or hassled to flip through the sheet music, but just stayed there like a wooden log. Motionless. No different from being dead.

And that was the most disturbing part, even for me.

No music bounced off the walls, no more echoes, or laughter, or mutual cursing or irritated tell-offs that resonated throughout the room. It was the dead silence that reeked the atmosphere once again, accompanying me perfectly as I stood by, observing the two individuals. From the once rude and witty, but now utterly silenced dark-locked lassie to the stoic as always corporal.   

Corporal Levi finally slipped an old photograph printed on a teeth-coloured base, just enough to reach the perimeters where the girl could still observe with her faded eyes. Naturally, my curiosity took over and I leant in to examine as well as the dark haired girl. The girl who was too pale from the sunless days, cooped in to the point where one would lose their sanity, which had already bled out of her.

“Brat,” He softly spoke, countering the silence, “Does this bring anything to mind?”

Those petite grins didn’t fail to bring a smile to her face, let alone mine. Three young girls with a dark Cane Corso, all parked up against a brick local wall of some elfin town, happy carefree beams plastered onto their youthful faces. Beautiful smiles of happy children, even I couldn’t turn that down. Her once cherished comrades, the decreased Ruth and Clara to the little stewed mongrel were now just faces of ordinary strangers off the streets.

“They look happy.” She simply uttered.

Nothing.

Completely nothing.

Hazel watched the calm Levi slide another image onto the closed lid of the ancient piano, this one not half as old as the one he presented earlier. And of course, I would lean in again to observe this new photograph placed in front of the girl.