That Night Back at Mitras Pt.1 [Special Insert]

I couldn’t help but roll my eyes and let out a sigh of annoyance as I gripped tightly onto little Luisa’s sweaty hand, backing up against the brick wall. I was so close to reaching my destination to drop off this little cargo, and now I run into these lunatics who have lost their circus train of stupidity. Why was my luck always so rotten?

It was only my third night after I made it within Wall Sina. And of course, my luck service just HAD to angle me out to stumble upon these cloaked freaks. Three of them actually.

The quiet whimpers of the little nervous Luisa echoed behind me as my hand tightens around hers reassuringly, still glaring at the three hidden figures in the shadows that stopped me from getting on with my way. If it wasn’t the military police, then it was the street thugs I had to deal with.

Mitras was famous for their overrated muggers.

Of course, thugs or authorities never made a damn spot on my to-give-a-fuck list. I was too used to this stuff; the answer was always a bloody slaughter. I had already prepared for something like this beforehand.

Plan A. Act innocent.

I was on a smuggling trip to get this little girl into the underground city at all costs. In order for that to happen smoothly, no one under any circumstances should find out about my plans. Plus, it was totally normal to be having two girls strolling around at night after curfew, yeah? You never know… people might actually be stupid enough to believe that.

And if plan A flops out, proceed to plan B. Bash the heck out of them. It'll just have to end up in a bloody fight.

Then there's plan C. We should all know this one. Run.

And finally there’s plan D. Which was basically a last resort and should only be taken when things seem 102% certain that I will turn into shit-meat in the butcher's display window.

“What’s someone like you doing out this late?” The light haired boy they called Farlan interrogated in a stable voice, playing around with the straps on the side of his thigh as they closed the distance in between. I looked back at the feverish little blond girl, shivering and hugging me from behind. She was a bit clammy as her little arms wrapped around me. Poor little thing.

I exhaled lightly, answering in the most supressed and calm tone I could mask on.

“We’re kinda on an urgent run, so if you’d …”

A rude cold tone immediately cut me off. His strong arm grabbed my shoulder, angling me against the brick wall. Typical bad boy act from a bunch of wannabe street thugs. 

How heavily I despised them all.

What an asshole. That phrase was too close to slipping off my tongue. I bit back my urge to spit in his face and held back my rage. Lashing out at these people wasn’t going to help my case at all.

“You didn’t answer our question.” His dark eyes glared at mine, which were slightly covered with the strands of hair drooping down across my face.

My eyes rolled as I scoffed, instinctively pushing him off lightly. A curse accidently left my lips again as I glared at the ground, thinking for a legitimate believable answer.

"Excuse me?" He questioned me again after he picked up on my foul language.

Who cares anyway? Whatever I tell these hooligans in the shadows, they were still gonna attempt to grope whatever pennies left in my pockets. I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to carry me to bed with them too.

A certain frightened yelp from Luisa immediately drew me out of my thoughts, my eyes setting coldly onto the third figure, which I could just barely tell had a few strands of red hair from the little light that managed to speckle into the dark tunnel.