Chapter 11: Falling [Expedition Pt.3]

“You’re fucking kidding me.”

My fists clenched tightly at the grips of my blades as I swirled in the air, executing the passing branches of the dark trees around me to halt the progress of the aberrant pursuing from behind. My muscles tensed up as the familiar sound of initiated signal flares torn through my earlobes.

One.

Two.

Three.

Four.

I hastily focused my attention up to the celestial glow of the sky, feeling my stomach drop as I watched the numerous dark flares ignite high up above into the peaceful transitory clouds. The murky dark colour was in complete contrast with the passive clouds behind them, as if ink was spilled on a perfect white canvas.

Every single one of them.

As black as the ace of spades.

The sound of the titan squawking behind drew my pupils back down from the high heavens beyond; switching my opaque orbs past my shoulders to watch the aberrant’s advancement. Its guilt-free eyes gawked at me in desire, as if it was the mule and I was the carrot on the end of the stick.

The sound of clean cuts and branches snapping filled the atmosphere once more as I leapt off the tall trees and continued to rupture whatever twigs within reach, delaying the spider-like titan who was lashing out behind me on its limbs. This was the first time I’d ever seen anything like this. A full size titan down on its arms and legs, hungrily dashing through the dark woods, like a spider in the flesh.

“Why won’t you…” I growled in frustration; my arms were held out forcefully as my blades hauled across a line of pendulous branches, creating a full chorus of snapping. 

“Just give up already?”

My eyes enlarged as I inspected horrifically at the titan lowering itself closer to the ground. With one immense leap, it pounced itself up mid-air, opening its enormous mouth after my fluttering green cape. Immediately, my maneuver gear cords ripped through the air and pierced into a nearby trunk of a tree, swinging my figure across as I barely escaping from its one gulp attempt.

“You piece of shit.” I muttered under my breath after swiftly landing on a thick sturdy branch, catching my breath and observing the disgusting crawling creature below. In the distance, my ears finally managed to pick up the sound of another set of gas tanks hissing and the swift motion of cables shooting out rapidly. A sigh of relief escaped my lips as I hung my head in respite.

Finally, you show up.

My hand reached over and quickly plucked out a dangling pine cone, fiddling around with it in my aching hands as the hideous spider titan below continually screeched at me, barking for the taste of my flesh. Its extensive eyes gleamed at me as the muscles around its mouth formed into a grin of hunger, waiting impatiently. With one vigorous hurl, I sent the dainty little pine cone soaring down, rebounding off the snout of the titan, resulting to another round of loud shrieking up the tree.

Good enough for a distraction.

It never failed to catch my attention as I saw his dark raven hair flip in the wind as he finally emerged from the trees and hurled his short figure towards my direction.

His cape flapped in the breeze as he lashed out forward at the aberrant titan. The light cloud of white gas escaped his gas chamber as Levi dashed towards the titan at maximum speed. In fact, he was so fast that the only thing my eyes could pick up was a slurred vision of his movements. My eyes widen in bewilderment as my vision was locked onto his once again spinning figure. With one quick swipe and a big spillage of blood, Levi sent the aberrant spider titan screeching in agony as it collapsed against the tree below me. Eventually, its limbs stopped twitching and it finally started disintegrating into steam.