Chapter 16: Safe Haven [Expedition Pt.8]

Light… Light…

That was the only word set on repeat within my mind as I fumbled in greyness, as blind as a bat. My hand rummaged through the thick layers of dust on the abandoned wooden bench, drawing fresh patterns into it as I felt my way through in search for a lamp.

Come on you stupid thing. Where the fuck are you hiding?!

Next to me, I could hear the quiet groans of the corporal who I had hurriedly laid down on the worn out spring mattress that was thrown roughly on the wooden floorboards. He was in too much pain at the moment to be complaining about the dusty state my uninhibited cabin was in.

After all, when was the last time I was here?

Not that I was a cleaner from the start anyway.

My twitchy panicky fingers seemed to fumble over each other as I shakily grabbed onto the familiar curved glass, which was also blanketed by a thick layer of dust. Immediately, I dipped my fingers in, only to scoff in dismay.

There was no candle.

How on earth was I supposed to see anything now?!

Fuck this.

I’m doing it my way then.

Gunpowder style.

I felt for the revolver I snitched off Dieter in my pocket and pulled it out swiftly, unloading all the remaining bullets inside. Grabbing my little Balisong knife, I dragged its tip repetitively over and over again to remove the cap of the bullet, tipping out all the content in the fireplace at the corner of the small room.

After I was sure that every bit of gunpowder was in, the damp logs and branches I found outside were thrown in.

Here goes nothing.

My Balisong dragged across the side of my nape-slicer blade repeatedly, watching the many trials of sparks fall into the fireplace, resulting to nothing but failure, over and over again.

Come on. My voice growled between my gritted teeth in frustration.

I was starting to lose patience after so many failed attempts of getting a simple spark to evolve into a flame. Cursing loudly, I scraped my Balisong across my blunt blade harder, getting as many sparks out as possible.

Why was it so easy in the comic books when everything was so fucking impossible out in the real world?!

My eyes trailed after one little spark that fell into the dark pile of gun powder and immediately the entire place ignited up, enlightening my whole one roomed cabin with its blaze. My heart flooded with joy as something finally goes according to plan.

You could never have too much gun powder, can you?

The papers messily pinned on all the walls of the room rustled wildly, heaving shadows here and there all around the room.

Levi.

The corporal’s name resonated in my head, immediately pulling me out of my little mental fist pump round for successfully making of fire.

Hunting through the cabinets, I finally found my supply of alcohol and carried the tightly sealed bottles over towards where the unconscious lance corporal was laying.

I knelt beside the mattress where the man was groaning in pain, my blade digging into the green fabric I had tied around his wound, ripping it open.

Did I have to remove his bullets?

The blood didn’t look like it was going to stop anytime soon.