Finding My Power

[Maddie POV]

I had been sitting at my poolside for days now trying to figure out my power and still nothing. But I was enjoying being able to drink water out of a glass without my throat closing up and taking a bath and swimming in my backyard pool without the pain that had before seared my skin.

In order to probably cheer us both up Rikki and I constantly went out on swims together and basking in the amazingness of being mermaids. We even assigned a coded picture to send each other if we needed to meet up.

School was incredibly boring as usual, after having a tense talk with Cleo about not going to the older kids pool party. I sat with Cleo as Emma and Rikki decided to practice controlling their transformation, which obviously didn't work. I decided to go home and teach myself sign language I started by watching a video to learn the alphabet and as soon as I got to the letter 'U' the water in the glass started spinning. I was shocked as it got faster turning itself into a whirlpool, but then I smiled realizing that this was my power! 

Just to test it on a bigger scale I quickly ran out to my backyard and created a mini maelstrom in the middle of my pool! I immediately tried to call the girls only to get three different answering machines. I shrugged promising to tell them later, but in order to congratulate myself I was going to go on a swim out out Mako.

I swam around the island once and then found a nice rocky place on the west side of the island to relax on a nice, smooth rock. I smiled noticing a nice small waterfall near the rock I was laying that gave a nice calming sound.

I turned to lay on my back and look up at the clear, blue sky and held up my fingers to the sky in victory before rolling back on my stomach. I looked down to the water below me and watched as the waves rolled in and out.

I began to recall, in my head, how whirlpools are formed and wondered if I could somehow break that down and control those elements too. I began to think, so whirlpools are usually formed naturally when two opposing currents meet causing the water to swirl around. If I could create whirlpools, then could I also control tides? 

While I was thinking I didn't notice a large wave come in and hit my rock, scaring me so bad I nearly fell. I anger and shock I threw out my hand to the sea and the waves got shorter immediately. I pulled my hand back seeing that I had made the letter 'B'  in sign language this time. 

I held my hand back out again willing the waves rise again, while also increasing the frequency and it happened! The waves rose creating a greater amplitude and shortened the wavelength. I pulled my hand back and couldn't stop grinning and giggling. Before heading back to the mainland I tested my theory about currents, which turned out to be true; it wasn't about the whirlpools it was about making and controlling my own currents and causing them to collide with one another.

I swam back to land as fast as I could and I found them others sitting on some rocks screaming out of breath, from running, "Guys! You're never going to believe what I discovered today!"

I stopped abruptly, seeing Lewis peek out from behind Cleo and I said, "Actually, I can just tell you all later."

Rikki said, "It's ok, Madeleine, Lewis knows."

I looked to Lewis, who waved slightly and asked, "You mean about the whole scaly tail thing?"

They all nodded and Emma asked, "So what did you discover?"

I perked up and smiled widely, "I figured out my powers! Want to see?!"

Cleo said, "Wait! Powers? As in more than one?"

I nodded, "Yeah, come on I'll show you!"

The girls and Lewis followed me to the water's edge and I held out the letter 'B', forcing the waves to rise high enough to show everyone, but not so high that the water could reach us before lowering my hand and allowing the waves to settle.

Once they were I created my own currents to form a medium whirlpool. I stopped the whirlpool before turning to my elders and exclaiming, "I can control waves and currents! Isn't that cool?!"

While the girls smiled and complimented, Lewis just looked star-struck and Rikki told me she found her power too and I hugged her, which she eventually returned.

The girls told me about their days and how Cleo went to the pool party and nearly got herself exposed, but Lewis helped to save her. 

All in all a very productive and action-packed day and I was sure that there were many more to come, and that was perfectly alright with me.