Risks & Experiments

Rikki, Emma and I were out swimming again and testing how long we could hold our breath, which we timed to be 15 minutes exactly. I loved swimming with them and was even starting to develop a tan now that I didn't have to worry about being allergic to my sweat.

We all wished that Cleo would join us, but even I could tell that out of all of us, Cleo was the most apprehensive and scared about being a mermaid. We tried to convince her to accept it only to be shot down big time. The blondes and I were out swimming again and caught one of Mr. Satori's boats catch a turtle in its nets. Rikki stole a knife to cut it free while I made sure it wasn't injured and could swim on its own, of course while I was doing that I was internally freaking out about how I was actually holding a sea turtle!

The glory of us saving the turtle was short-lived as the news reported that thanks to the net we ripped up every fisherman out there would be looking to kill a rogue shark. We hated breaking the news to Cleo about seeing her dad's boat and about cutting out the turtle in his net. And thanks to that news story, the city council ordered a bounty on a shark, and it was too dangerous to go for a swim without the risk of being seen and skewered!

Lewis came running to tell us about Cleo going to stop one of her dads fishing boats. We immediately went after her, only to find her completely tangled in the net. Emma froze the reel to keep them from dragging Cleo up while Rikki and I untangled her. The next morning Cleo actually organized a swim and we all went for a relaxing swim together as a group.

Lewis was sitting in his boat reading about mythical sea creatures while Emma and I swam below. Deciding to have some fun, I created a current to start spinning Lewis around and large waves to rock the boat, but not big enough to make him fall out or the boat tip over. I heard him shout in surprise at first, but quickly go back to reading and ignoring it. I popped up over the side, chuckling, "Did you have fun on the little bumpy ride I gave you?"

He didn't even look up, replying, "Hmm, yeah, oh yeah. Real fun."

"Lewis don't be mean, I was only trying to test my control." Suddenly the phone rang and it was for Emma and she said, "Your new job, at the marine park?"

Lewis and I both looked at her, "What?!"

After hanging up the phone Lewis asked, "So why is your tail green and the others' orange?"

I shrugged, "No idea it could honestly be anything. There's only place where we'll be able to get answers, and I think Emma would agree."

"Mako Island."

I nodded and all three of us turn to look at it before I smirked, "Race you to the pool!"

I ducked under the water and raced to the cave only to have Emma beat me by a whole three seconds. But she stayed under longer, coming up to reveal that she found a locket. "It's beautiful Emma! Where was it?"

"At the bottom of the pool, just lying in the sand."

"Ok, give me a sec, I want to see if I can find one." I ducked under the surface and checked the settled sands to find nothing.

We were finally back at Emma's house with Lewis testing which liquids would and wouldn't turn us. It was annoying, but I guess it was necessary. We met up with Cleo at the cafe who told us about a lady she met who could have known about us. Emma decided to actually have her party, which I was also going to be invited to and Zayn brought over prune juice disguised as Frozen Colors, but jokes on him, I could actually tolerate prune juice.

Emma's party was a blast, at least until Miriam and Zayn showed up. After Emma's mum left Zayn was attracting all the girls and Miriam asked Emma, gesturing to me, "Why invite the goth freak with a water allergy, Emma? Didn't have enough people show up so you had to invite the school nutcase?"

I took a deep breath and smiled, "You know Miriam, had you ever been burned by a candle?"

"No why?" she asked and the room went silent, turning their attention to Miriam and me.

"Hmm, ever poured acid on your skin?"

"No."

"Ever had chicken pox or break out into hives?"

She shook her head and I asked, "No? Because that's exactly what it feels like every morning when I take a shower. Every time I just simply want to have a glass of water, my throat starts to close up, making it nearly impossible to breathe. Even if I want to cry I can't, because as soon as the tears leaves my eye I break out into excruciating hives. But you know I'm sorry that I wasn't born perfect like you, Miriam, or wear your style of fashion. I like being different, I like being my own person, but I'm not a freak." I stormed out Emma's back door and out into the night air, taking deep breaths to calm myself down.

When I came back in I got many apologies from people I didn't even know, except Miriam, but that I expected. I stuck close to Rikki the rest of the night and even helped her stop Miriam from stealing Emma's locket. Emma ended up giving the locket to Cleo to hold onto and keep safe.

I had a lot of fun and even made some new friends, which was a good thing in my book, considering at first I only had Rikki, who wanted to be called acquaintance rather than friend and Lewis, who tutored me every week.