Younger Siblings & First Crushes

Emma and I took Lewis to the Moon Pool to have Lewis help us figure out how we became mermaids. After showing Lewis the land entrance Emma I came the underwater entrance.  While Lewis mapped out the space and Emma I got water, rock and sand samples. I also helped Lewis measure the width and depth of the Moon Pool itself before we all returned to the mainland.

I decided to hang out with Emma the rest of the day when some unusual things happened. For starters, Cleo's little sister Kim, came over to talk to Elliot; Emma's little brother. Emma and her parents dragged me upstairs while the two talked alone. Until Emma decided that we should get refreshments. 

I noticed the two of them giving Emma weird looks as she got out a water bottle and a straw, while I poured myself a glass of milk. After Kim left Emma and I talked some more and even let me stay the night.

While Emma went to take a shower my phone rang, "Hello?"

"Maddie, hey, it's your elder brother."

I smiled, "Oh hey, Daniel, how have you been? Has college been rough?"

"Well, sometimes, but I've been doing alright. What about you? How has my favorite little sister been?"

"Really good, actually, I've made some new friends recently and I'm even sleeping over at her house tonight."

"Oh, that's wonderful! What are their names?"

"Emma Gilbert, Rikki Chadwick, and Cleo Satori."

"Well, I'll have to meet them the next time I come home. Which reminds me, what do you want for your birthday?"

I grinned even more, "A puppy?"

He laughed, "Oh, you're funny Maddie, but seriously what do you want?"

My smiled dropped from my face and I took a deep breath, "I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but I'm sure I'll think of something. Thanks for calling, Daniel."

"No problem, every responsible brother should check up on his little sister. You call me back when you've decided what you want, ok? Bye, Maddie."

"Bye, Dan." 

I hung up the phone as Emma came back in from her shower, "Who was that?"

"Oh just my brother calling from college to check up on me."

"Oh, that's nice, but why do you look upset?"

"He asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I told him a puppy, but he thought it was a joke. Neither he nor my mum and sister know how lonely it is living in that house all be myself. I mean yeah, I have you and the girls as friends, but I want to be able to have a companion when I'm at home too."

Emma changed and climbed into bed, pulling me up in it next to her, "Don't worry, how about you and I hang out tomorrow and exercise training our powers. Won't that be fun?"

I nodded, "Thanks Em, I'm glad that I have you as a friend."

"Me too, Maddie, now try and get some sleep."

The next morning we went into the pool and hot tub in Emma's backyard and tested the limits of our powers. Thankfully, Emma's parent went on a run and Elliot went out to hang out with Kimmi.

After that we were sitting in the living room reading, when Elliot came over to Emma with a glass of water, "Hey, whatcha' doin'?" 

Elliot responded, but I could tell he was up to something, he and Kim both. "Nothing, what are you doing?"