The Next Morning

[Maddie POV]

I woke up the next morning and walked out into the kitchen. There was a glass of water sitting on the counter. I reached for it only to pull my hand away in sadness. I decided to wash my hands before beginning to wash the dishes, when a familiar feeling came over me. Within ten seconds of putting my hands in the water I was on the tile floor, feeling a familiar heaviness in my legs.

I turned around, overjoyed at seeing my seaweed tail, but did that mean everyone else had theirs too. I heard my cellphone ring on the counter and I pulled myself up to grab it, "Hello?"

"Maddie, it's Matthew, so I went out front of the house to water my mother's garden and I transformed."

"Yeah, the same thing happened to me!" I exclaimed, "Are you alright? What about the others?"

"Um, well, I've only heard from Rikki and Casey. It happened to them too. Rikki's meeting up with Cleo and we're all going to meet at Emma's place."

I nodded, "Got it, I'm on my way." I hung up and tested my powers, within second I was dry and back on my own two feet. I grabbed a towel, in case anyone needed it, and ran out the door toward Emma's.

When I got there, Emma was int he pool with her tail as Rikki, Cleo and the boys were standing around her talking. I knelt down, "So the same thing happened to all of you then too. What happened?"

Emma shook her head, "I don't know, Miss Chatham was very clear. We gave up our powers."

Emma reached out of the water and I dried her arms enough with the towel, so that we could all pull her out. Lewis came around the corner at that point, "Well see you only gave up your powers for 12 hours."

I looked at him, "What?"

"It's temporary, during a lunar eclipse the Moon Pool draws away your powers for 12 hours."

"And you didn't think to tell us this?" I questioned, crossing my arms.

"If you didn't believe that your powers were gone then neither would Dr. Denman. Your reactions needed to be real. It's funny because Miss Chatham told me not to tell you."

I gave a look to the girls as Emma stood up, now dry. I nodded to the boys who pushed Lewis into the pool and Cleo raised up up on a geyser of water. I smirked at Cleo, "Leave him up there for a couple of hours."

Emma smirked, "Next time he better remember who his friends are."

Cleo then looked at me, "Yeah, no one messes with the mermaids."

I scoffed in fake hurt, "Hey, that's my line." After watching Lewis struggle for a couple more minutes I sighed, "Well, I'm bored. Anyone fancy a victory swim?"

"I'm in!" Casey cried

"Me too!" Matthew joined

I looked at the girls, "Girls?"

They exchanged looks with each other as Cleo suddenly dropped Lewis, "Yeah, let's go. There's a whole ocean out there for us."

I smirked pushing Casey into the pool with Lewis, "Last one to the Moon Pool is a beached whale!" I ran down the dock at full speed, diving into the water. I could hear four more splashed behind me, but I didn't turn around as I raced for Mako Island. I caused a strong current to pull two of the girls off course and sped into the Moon Pool, bursting out of the water grinning, "I WIN!"

I laughed as everyone else joined me. "You cheated!" Casey accused, chuckling, as he finally arrived.

I smiled, "I did not, I merely used my powers and Emma's pool to gain a significant lead. In a mer race powers are not off limits."

Rikki wrapped her arm around my head, rubbing her knuckles into me skull, "It is when you've got all the powers."

I rolled my eyes when she released me, "Fine, in order to make it 'fair'. In any future mer races, powers are banned." 

I then touched my locket and swam to the exit as Emma inquired, "Where are you going?"

I turned to her, "I'm gonna have a little 'me time' on my rock. I'll be back in a bit."

She nodded and I left to swim to my little rock and stream. I laid on my back with the sun on my scales listening to the waves crash and the water gurgle. I smiled and said out loud to no one, "Now this is how life should be and I wouldn't want it any other way."