Rainy Mornings & Bad Moons

Because it was raining I was allowed to stay home because of my 'condition'. Mrs. Emese made sure to call in to school before leaving. I loved rainy days because of my water allergy it was always so painful to go anywhere, but now it would be a pain to walk out and grow a tail.

I called Rikki, "Hey, what are you guys up to?"

She whispered back, "We're trapped at Emma's because of the rain and pretending to be sick. What about you?"

"I've always gotten rainy days off because of my water allergy. So, I'm perfectly safe at home."

"Ok, could you call Lewis for us and tell him to come over, we're being quarantined."

"Quarantined?!"

"Calm down, we're fine. We're just using our power to simulate sickness until the rain stops."

"Alright, I'll send Lewis a text, so hang tight."

After hanging up I sent Lewis an emergency text and waited until he got back to me. Apparently the girls were almost taken to a quarantine hospital before finally coming clean. 

That night there was a dance the class above me was having and I had decided to go as well after, of course, being personally invited by my mermaid friends. We were all getting ready at Cleo's house for the party and they were telling me all about their day when Cleo shushed everyone, walking over to her door.

She opened it and Kim fell in and Cleo said, "Caught you; you are in big trouble."

"I dropped something," Kimmi said trying to come up with an excuse.

"Liar," Cleo shouted back, "I warned you about snooping around."

I came around next to Cleo and said, "What's those red spots on her face?"

I could hear Emma smile from behind me, "It's the measles. She caught Elliot's measles."

I had a lot of fun at the dance and I know he other girls did too. We dance non-stop for four hours, until finally I got home and went to sleep.

It was full moon time again and I was out at the docks watching the waves and practicing my abilities, when I saw Zayn and Nate drive in on their boat tossing a door onto the dock in front of Mr. Satori and other fisherman. 

I recognized it as the door from the Lorelei and ran off to find Miss Chatham, I met up with Cleo who was also looking for her and after another hour or so we headed back to Emma's claiming that we couldn't find her.

I smiled at Lewis coming to help us lock down the Gilbert house to make it totally moon proof, but once we were done it took a bit for us to get him to leave because Emma promised no boys. I went to the bathroom to change into my pajamas before coming back out to find Rikki freaking out about the heat rising in the room.

Rikki was moonstruck, was continuing to burn up, and even burned Emma when she touched her. I was standing in the middle of the kitchen when Cleo asked, "Rikki, you didn't happen to see the moon's reflection in water did you?"

Suddenly a drink exploded next to her and landed on me and I grew a tail, flopping down. I groaned pushing up on my elbows, "I think we can take that as a definite maybe."

While I dried off the other two girls took Rikki and sat her down in the living room in front of the fan, to cool and calm her down. Rikki walked back in the kitchen to help dry me off when everything started to explode. My legs came back and I stood up, backing away from Rikki, "Rikki you need to settle down, we can get through this."

Behind me the popcorn was popping on its own and Emma and Cleo looked just as frightened. Rikki looked at us and cried, "It's my fault. It's all my fault, I don't know how to stop this."

I reached out for her only to see her run from the kitchen. I followed after her as she raced out the door and I got burned by the doorknob, trying to follow.

Emma cooled it down and she opened the door only to have Lewis run in. I shouted, "Lewis! Where's Rikki?!"

"Gone! She's gone to the canal!"

"Well we can't leave her out there!" I shouted, keeping my head down and running out the door. I jumped into the canal and made it out to the ocean knowing of only one place she could go, Mako Island.

I swam into the Moon Pool first and looked up as the moonlight flooded in. I breathed in the power and climbed out of the water, quickly drying off and headed out into the jungle, knowing what to do. "Rikki!" I called, "Rikki!"

I came across trees and bushes burning and knew I had to be close, "Rikki!"

I put out the fires as I went along only to find Rikki sitting in a ring of it with an unconscious Zayn lying in the leaves next to her. I put out the fire and was able to touch Rikki without being burnt. "Rikki, it's going to be ok. I'm going to stay right here with you."

The sun was starting to rise when the other girls finally showed up and begged her to come to the Moon Pool with them. I agreed and we finally convinced her to come with us and as soon as the moon had set in the sky, Rikki snapped out of it and was back to normal. Although to be fair she couldn't remember anything that happened.

I went back home instead of going back to Emma's and realized something. How was I able to dry off so quickly after being in the Moon Pool? How come I could remember everything from last night, even though I saw the moon and touched water, while Rikki couldn't? How come I was immune to Rikki's power after being in the Moon Pool? How could I put out the fires?

I poured a glass of water and set it on the counter to test a theory. I stood back before holding out my hand, squeezing it into a fist, like Rikki. I jumped back, seeing the water heat up and bubble. I kept my hand out and my focus on the glass until all of the water evaporated before pulling my hand back. I looked at my hands and stood frozen in fear. I had problems just controlling my first two powers, but now having Rikki's power too; how was I ever going to remain in control?