Mermen

ARRGH! I had enough of these damn annoying mermen. Goodness, as soon as they got their tails and powers they were like two kids at a theme park; spoiled and unable to control.

Thankfully both boys first transformed at the docks the next afternoon, after a good nights rest. I went on their first swim with them and they both loved it.

A couple weeks later both of them finally found their powers. Matthew could become invisible, whether on land or in the water. It was pretty cool, except that he would use it for evil by sneaking up behind me and scaring me half do death every chance he got. Casey, however, gained a beautiful siren voice and used it to get other people to do what he wanted. He practically abused his power once he knew how to control it.

I broke up with him after a particularly bad incident. He had used his powers to compel all the girls in the school to fall in love with him. I found him and dragged him to the nearest empty classroom, "What the hell are you doing? Our powers are only supposed to be used in emergencies, not to enslave the human race."

He chuckled, "I don't know why you're so upset? You wanted my to learn to control my power, I have now let me have some fun."

"Oh so, you have ever girl in the school pining for you, what does that make me, chopped liver?"

He took my hands, "No, that makes you my queen."

I nodded, "Good, so you won't mind releasing them from your spell?"

He looked into my eyes and tried to use his power on me, singing, "You aren't angry with me anymore. In fact you are proud of me and will be forevermore."

I frowned, shoving him away from me, "Are you trying to use your power on me?" His eyes went wide as I ignited every bunsen burner in the room, "You obviously don't understand the gift that your power is. You are not god and you never will be." I froze his sandals to the floor, so that he couldn't move and caused water from the sink to float over to us and hang over his head. Oh yeah, I gained Cleo and Emma's powers too.

But anyway I came over to my boyfriend and punched him in the throat. I hoped that would knock out his vocal chords for at least a couple hours. I dropped the water on him and then stood over him, "We are over and don't think I'm going to run to your rescue if you ever need my help. If you can't learn to control yourself then there's no point in us being together. Goodbye Casey."

I decided that from that day on I didn't need to be in a relationship. I was just fine on my own. I was strong. I was brave. I was ferocious. With a boyfriend I became weak, scared, and timid.

In order to protect my friends and our secret, I needed to be the me I was alone. Miss Chatham was surprised to hear about the mermen, but made sure that they knew her wisdom was not to be taken lightly. She became my confidante and the only person I really trusted with my thoughts and emotions. I cried on her shoulder when I told her what happened between Casey and I. She gave him a piece of her mind and after that we became perfect acquaintances that shared a secret, nothing more.

Matthew kept his distance too, considering he was still dating Karen. He thought it was best not to tell her about our secret, considering that she spilled every secret she ever had, which I was happy for. It hurt me to watch them together, knowing that I couldn't be happy too.

The girls and I grew apart too. I went on more swims and trips to Mako. I closed myself off, not trusting them and not trusting myself. We were keepers of the secret, supposed to be together for strength, but we were actually divided. 

Miss Chatham changed that, she brought us all together one day at the Marine Park and said, "Now all of you need to listen very carefully. I have noticed that you all seem to have closed in on yourselves and become secretive with each other. That cannot happen if the secret is to survive. Girls, the lockets you wear join you together as inheritors of the magic. Boys I present you with these shark tooth bracelets as a symbol that joins you in strength and guardianship. Not one of you can hope to live without the others. You six and Lewis must remain united for I fear there are dark times ahead and you must stick together if you wish to overcome them. Do all of you understand?"

I looked around at everyone and smiled. Placing my hand out into the middle of the table, "I miss you guys and I want us to be able to rely on each other, so how about we officially form the Mer Club. Who else is in?"

Rikki was the first to reach her hand in, "What the heck, might as well make it official."

Emma and Cleo then reached their hands in. Cleo also dragged Lewis' hand onto the pile, "We wouldn't b a group without you Lewis."

I looked to the two mermen, "Come on boys, don't leave Lewis hanging as the only boy."

They both looked at each other, putting on their new bracelets that Miss Chatham made and then stuck there hands in. I smiled and stood up, raising my other hand in the air, "I vow from this day until my last day, to guard the secret and protect those who share it. Let this promise mark the beginning of the Mer Club. Who else will stand and take the pledge?"

Everyone else joined in, including Miss Chatham and then we all took a group swim out to Mako and the reefs to celebrate.

As the sun set over the horizon, we were all lounging in the Moon Pool with Lewis floating in his inner tube, and Rikki commented, "It's a bit cramped in here now."

To which I replied, giggling, "Oh, but I wouldn't have it any other way."

Cleo agreed, "Maddie's right, today is the start of something great."