Of Swimming and Sirens

Matthew had decided to enter the school's swimming sports so I didn't get to see him very much, nor Emma after she 'secretly' agreed to help coach Byron to help him beat Zayn. 

Rikki decided to have fun messing with Lewis, trying to make him angry. I had a lot of time to myself and decided to spend it swimming and hiking around Mako. I made it my mission to know the workings of the island, in and out. It took me several days, but I finally managed to visually map out the entire island in my head.

I cheered Matt on at the competition, but also watched Emma's heart break as she was forced to push Byron away after he won his race against Zayn.  When the girls and I went to comfort her we respected her wishes about going on a swim by herself.

After a couple of hours I got worried and went after her. I found her in the Moon Pool, "Emma, are you ok? You've been gone long time."

Through broken breaths she answered, "Yeah, I'm fine."

I made my way over to her and hugged her, "You don't have to be strong around me, Em. I'm not going to judge you or think you weak. I want to be able to support you like you and the girls support and comfort me. I'm her for you, 100%."

She hugged me back, resting her head on my shoulder, "Thanks, Maddie, but I don't feel like talking right now. Can we just sit like this for now?"

"Of course, Emma."

I finally got her to go home and sleep it off, hoping she would be back to her old self in a couple of days.

The girls and I were at the juice bar, listening to Miriam sing karaoke and I had to admit she was good, but I knew I could do better. Rikki volunteered Cleo to sing next and I cringed along with everyone else as she tried to sing and was booed off the stage, crying.

Not wanting to end the night off with Cleo's performance, I rushed over and put my name in to sing "Big Girls Don't Cry" by Fergie to try and cheer her up, while also outshining Miriam.

I got a standing ovation and stepped off the stage to hug Cleo and comfort her and we remembered that the full moon was tomorrow and we were spending it at Cleo's this time. I was shivering and not because of the scary movie.

I had a lot of fun watching Rikki sing, while Emma face-palmed. Just as Emma was about to take a turn, Cleo snatched the microphone and began singing with the most beautiful voice I had ever heard. I exchanged glances with Rikki and Emma, knowing that something wasn't right. Everyone besides the three of us seemed enchanted by Cleo's voice. I whispered to the blondes, "She's obviously moonstruck, but why isn't she growing a tail if she has wet hands."

They both shook their heads and there was a sudden knock on the door and Byron came in looking just as hypnotized as Lewis. Then it came to me, "Oh my gosh, guys, she's become a siren."

"Siren?" Rikki asked

"A creature from greek mythology who could charm the minds of sailors with their voices and lead them to their deaths."

Cleo finally put down the microphone and Emma, Rikki and I walked up to her, "Cleo, we need to talk." 

We guided her into the kitchen and dried her hands off and Rikki said, "Cleo, listen, you touched water and the full moon is doing something to you."

"I can sing!" was all she responded with and I groaned.

Emma then commanded, "Cleo, wake up, you're a bad singer."

"You're just jealous, but that's ok, I still like you. You're my friends and if you want you can pick out my next song."

I looked at the other two and said, "Let's get Lewis."

We dragged Cleo upstairs ordering Lewis to follow, but instead Cleo's dad came up the stairs behind us. We looked over the railing a few moments later to see that more boys had arrived, claiming to have heard Cleo singing and I looked back at the girls, "See, this is the effect of the Siren's Voice. We need to make sure Cleo doesn't sing anymore, or our problem is only going to get worse."

Thank goodness I had brought my heavy duty headphones with me to strap onto Lewis so that he wouldn't be further effected. But he couldn't resist wanting to hear Cleo and her dad caught them kissing and threw him out, which means we were now on our own, babysitting Cleo.

She was not happy when we tucked her into bed and went to sleep. In the morning we soon realized that we should have been keeping a closer eye on her, considering there were even more boys crowded around outside her house than last night! She had called into a radio station and now her song was being played throughout the world!

I actually got kind of angry when Matthew showed up and was gazing at Cleo like she was the only girl in the world. I looked up at the girls, gathering my stuff, "I can't deal with this anymore."

"Where are you going?" Rikki demanded

"Look, until the full moon disappears from the sky, these idiotic men are going to be trapped under the Siren Spell and there's nothing we can do. I'm going home." I walked outside to see the sea of men just outside the door who all gave a disappointed noise as I walked out. I scoffed, "You guys seriously need to get a life."

As soon as I got home I went out to my backyard pool and practiced with my powers, thinking of Matt's face when he looked at Cleo. Cleo apologized the next day and I forgave her, knowing she wasn't in full control just like I was last full moon.

Matt and I were better than ever since he was at karaoke night and heard me sing. He insisted on me giving him private concerts whenever we were alone and that was perfectly alright with me.