Emergencies and Mean Girls

Emma was enjoying her new job at the Juice Net Cafe and hired me to help her out when Wilfred went out of town for a conference. I had fun for the first day and Emma even hired Rikki after Cleo begged her too.

It then became my job to make sure the two didn't blow up in each other's faces until the weekend was over.

However, Rikki quit and I got to work earlier than Emma the next day and I saw something peculiar in the back corner of the cool room. I screamed seeing a frozen body and ran out only to be caught by Emma, "Woah, woah, easy, Maddie. What's wrong?"

Tears welled up in my eyes, "The back corner of the cool room."

I stood shaking as Emma went to check it out and we immediately called Lewis and Cleo. While Cleo went to get Rikki, Lewis and I researched possible solutions to save Miriam's life.

It was stressful later as Cleo and I began moving her bodily fluids around and suddenly Miriam jolted awake. Once she did, I was allowed to work the rest of the day and be paid for working.

During lunch break I was approached by a group of three girls out on the lawn, while eating. The first asked, "What sort of blackmail do you have on Matthew Baker?"

"Why would I have blackmail on Matthew Baker? We're friends," I answered plainly, closing my book to focus on them.

Another girl said, "We know you're lying."

"Why would Matthew Baker, the heir to the Baker Family real estate agency ever hang out with a freak goth chick like you?" The third, obviously the leader, held out her hand, holding a bottle of water over my head, and commanded, "I know you're allergic to water, so tell me what you are blackmailing him with and I won't douse you."

I looked nervously at the bottle and asked, "Ok, before you do that, can I ask why you all are so interested in Matthew?"

The girl pulled her hand back and all three of them got giggly, "Who wouldn't be interested in Matthew Baker? He's hot."

"Smart."

"And incredibly sweet. The total package." I managed to gather up my stuff and get onto my feet, as the leader mentioned, "Matthew was my boyfriend back in Junior High, we broke up because he had to move away with his parents for business reasons, but now that he's back I want him back and I can't seem to get close to him since he always seems to be with you."

"Yeah, Karen and Matthew were the perfect power couple and you sinking my ship," the second girl practically screamed.

"Besides even if you liked him do you really think that he'll ever like you back?" The third girl asked

I held up my hands, my eyes still on the water bottle, "Look, Karen, is it? Let's make a deal."

She lowered the water bottle, "I'm listening."

"I promise to cut off all contact with Matthew for a week, which will give you time reestablish your relationship with him. After the week is up and I meet up with him, if both of you are back together then I give my word to not bother either of you ever again, but if he still wants to hang around me then you have to be the one to leave us alone, deal?"

Karen thought about it for a moment before asking her friends, "Kristie; Kylie, what do you think?"

"I think you should take it."

"It sounds reasonable to me, Karen."

"Alright then, freak, you have yourself a deal, have a nice rest of your day."

"You guys too."

"Oh and one more thing," Karen said, before turning around and throwing water on me, "You better keep your promise starting now."

My eyes widened and I sprinted to the closest closed space I could find to lock, the janitor's closet, before transforming.

After school I looked up the school roster to find the girl's names, planning a sort of revenge scheme. I noticed that Karen York had a twin brother, Casey York. While she was trying to woo Matthew, I was going to woo her brother. Nobody messes with a mermaid.

Casey happened to be one of the soccer stars at our school, the goalie to be precise, and I decided to meet him be doing something incredibly stupid, but it would make him feel like my knight in shining armor whenever he was around me.

I walked across the field in front of the net, pretending to be too invested in a book to notice my surroundings. Out of my peripheral vision I saw a guy kick the ball and it headed right at me. He yelled, "Hey, watch out!"

I looked up to see the soccer ball and took a breath, only to be tackled to the ground by Casey. I sighed in relief as Casey got up to kneel over me and ask, "Are you ok?"

I smiled coming up on my forearms, "I'm fine thanks to you and I'm sorry, I should have been watching where I was going."

Casey got up and held out his hand to help me up too. I took it as he said, "It must have been some book, I'm Casey; Casey York."

"Madeleine Hawkins," I responded picking up my book, showing him, "Romeo and Juliet, for an english project. I'm a sucker for Shakespeare."

He smiled and chuckled, "Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm doing Macbeth. Maybe you could help me out with it?"

I nodded, "Yeah, sounds like fun. Here let me give you my phone number."

As soon as I gave him my number his coach shouted, "Casey! Get your head in the game! You can flirt with your girlfriend later!"

I smirked, laughing, "I better go anyway, it was nice meeting you Casey and thanks again for the save."

"Yeah, no problem, see you around."

I walked off the field and began my journey home, being stopped by Matthew, "Hey stranger, have time to hang out today?"

Remembering my deal I shook my head, "Sorry, Matt I have things to do, maybe next time ok?"

"Ok, bye."

I hated leaving him, but it was a matter of keeping my secret and besides it was only for a week.