Dr. Denman Returns (Part 1)

I was ecstatic to learn that Cleo and Lewis were dating because I knew they were destined for each other from the start. We all steered clear of Mako, so as to not ruin their date.

Emma was upset that she couldn't go on her family holiday because it was to a beach resort and there was a high probability of her getting wet. The rest of us were at Emma's listening to her when Cleo stormed in, "Ok I don't want to alarm you, but we've got trouble." I sat up at attention and Cleo delivered the news, "What's her face is back in town."

Rikki responded, "Uh, you're going to have to be a little bit more specific than that."

Cleo then looked at me, "Who has blonde hair and the last time she was here, tricked Lewis and got ahold of a sample of your DNA?"

My eyes widened and I stood up, "Doctor Denman? She's back?"

Matthew raised his hand, "Uh, excuse me, but for the sake of us who are new. Meaning Casey and myself; who is Doctor Denman?"

I turned to look at the mermen, "Basically the last time Dr. Denman was in town, she manipulated Lewis and ended up with a sample of my DNA and was going to write a tell all story about it. If Lewis hadn't stolen back the sample and destroyed Denman's files on it, then I'm pretty sure she would have been able to track us down and we would be in test tubes right now."

Cleo added on, "Yeah, or attractions at a zoo."

Casey put a thumb up, "Great so now we know, stay away from Dr. Denman, please continue."

I looked back at Cleo as Emma asked, "So what's she doing back here?"

Cleo answered, "I don't know, but her boat was anchored off Mako Island this afternoon. Lewis went to go investigate."

Rikki rolled our eyes, "Are we sure sending Lewis is a good idea? Last time Denman was here, he was practically her our personal lap dog."

"I trust Lewis and so should you, he's not going to fall for her again," Cleo reasoned.

I smirked, "Good because if he does, I'll make sure he knows that you're a better match anyway or I'll drown him along with the blonde vixen."

We all met up at the juice bar the next day as Lewis gave us the low down on what he found out. Apparently she was only back to collect seashell samples and record fish population counts. I breathed a sigh of relief as Lewis took my hand from across the table, comfortingly, "I promise that nothing is going to happen to you, Maddie. You are safe, all of you are safe."

I didn't feel all that great when Zayn came over, seemingly interested in Dr. Denman poking around Mako Island. Not that I didn't trust Rikki, but Zayn was notorious for being the great mermaid hunter. Matt, Casey, and I stuck close together as I pointed out Denman's boat in the harbor and pulled up her picture online so that they knew who to avoid.

My eyes widened as Dr. Denman came into the juice bar and pulled Lewis aside. I clenched and locked eyes with everyone until Lewis came back. Once she was gone Lewis told us the news, "There's a possibility that she may have-."

His voice trailed off and Rikki threatened, lowering her voice, "Spit it out, Lewis."

"She's found some evidence." I felt my heart drop as Lewis continued, "She found a cell sample from one of your tails in the Moon Pool."

I stood up and ran outside, hyperventilating. Matt and Casey ran out after me and tried to help me calm down. I spoke out to no one, "She knows. She knows and it's happening all over again."

Matt finally grabbed me and forced me to look into his eyes, "She found and unusual sample. She cannot link it to you or any of us. We just have to make sure that it stays that way. Right now the only one on the chopping block is Lewis because she knows Lewis has a similar sample. We are all going to be okay." He nodded, "Okay?"

I nodded back and took deep breaths to regain my bearings. We all decided to take a swim to the Moon Pool and I noticed the footprints in the sand around the pool. Cleo stated the obvious, "She's been here. That woman has been here."

Rikki made a point, "This is dangerous, she's getting too close. We can't come here anymore. Not now."

I responded, "But this is our place. Our special place."

"Not anymore," Rikki replied.

Emma nodded, "Rikki's right, we all have to keep a low profile. That means total lockdown."

Matt looked at her, "So no more coming here?"

Casey then asked too, "No more swimming with the dolphins? No more midnight swims?"

Emma shook her head, "Nothing. As far as anyone knows; no mermen or mermaids."

I then asked, "For how long?"

"As long as we have to, okay?"

We all agreed and I cried, "I'm just gonna go to my special spot one last time okay?"

Rikki nodded, "Go, but be quick."

I nodded and ducked out to swim around to my special spot. Casey and Matt came to me and Casey started, placing his hand on the rock, "How are you doing?"

I wiped my eyes, "This is going to be tough for me. You know, the girls and I turned together. This is something special that we shared, I made friends with them because of this. If I hadn't of attempted to save Cleo that day, I would still be the loner, friendless freak girl with the water allergy. Thanks to what happened that night, water doesn't hurt me anymore. This being human thing is going to be really tough for me."

The boys nodded and Matt said, "It's not gonna last forever, and besides, its not like you're going to lose us as friends just because we can't show our tails for a while. You are not alone in this. Do you understand me?"

I nodded, "Yeah, thanks you guys. I'm really glad you both jumped into the pool with me. I didn't realize until now, how easily you both have taken this whole mermaid/merman thing. I mean its been almost a month and you both are already experts at controlling your powers and keeping the secret."

Casey looked over at Matt before looking back at me, "Well we did have an excellent teacher. Without you Matt and I would either be just normal human boys or stuck with tails and powers that we don't know how to control or deal with."

Matt agreed, "Yeah, Maddie you were the one who made the adventure fun and worthwhile. I would think that my life sucked if you hadn't helped me through it.

I smiled at both of them and Casey held out his hand, "Come on, let's go."

Matt held out his hand too, "The girls are waiting for us. They want all of us to swim back together. One last adventure until this whole thing has blown over."

I took their hands as we made out way around to the Moon Pool. We swam together Emma, Cleo, and Rikki in front and Matt, Casey, and I following behind. It was the best experience ever.

Little did we know that the danger was only going to grow.