Film Disasters

The girls were working together on a short film competition, but I decided to stay out of it not wanting to spend the next few days stopping the constant fights.

I got up to grab a juice and Matthew met me at the bar, "Hey stranger."

I smiled, "Hey Matthew, what's up?"

"Nothing much, you entering the film competition?"

"No, but my friends are."

"Why aren't you helping them?"

"Because that would mean having to listen to their constant bickering and I already deal with that in excess on a practically daily basis. What about you?"

"Naw, I'm worthless with a camera, my hands shake too much. If you're not helping your friends, do you have some free time?"

"Yeah, what did you have in mind?" I asked taking a sip of my juice and paying.

"Why don't we go see an actual movie, instead of short films? I know of a good one that just came out."

"Sounds great, when are we going?"

"Does tomorrow at noon sound good?"

"Yeah, see ya then!" I answered going back over to the girls and Lewis.

"See ya!"

As soon as I sat down, I noticed the silence and stares, "What?"

"Who was that?" Rikki asked, smiling deviously

I remained calm and answered plainly, "Matthew, he's a new kid in my grade, why?"

"Well you two seem to be real chummy," Lewis added

I rolled my eyes, "What exactly are you trying to imply?"

Emma interrupted before Lewis could answer, "Maddie, there's nothing wrong with you liking him. I think it's sweet."

 I took a sip of my drink and lowering my voice to a whisper, "Ok, yes, I might like him, but I already made up my mind when I saw him that he was never going to go for me and with the whole mermaid thing how can a relationship even be possible?"

"Don't give up that easy, Madeleine." Cleo supported, "I think if any of us is going to be able to handle a boyfriend and deal with their powers, it's you."

"Thanks for the encouragement, Cleo, but I don't think it's going to happen. See you guys, later." I got up and took a swim out to Mako and found a golden, South Sea pearl before heading home and showering. Just before going to bed I picked out the perfect clothes for tomorrow that matched my locket and placed the golden pearl in it for good luck.

I arrived at the theatre ten minuted early, finding Matthew already there, "Haven't kept you waiting, have I?

"Nope, in fact you're early. Want to go in?"

"Yep!" We went inside and I asked, "So what kind of movie are we seeing?"

He smirked, "Don't think I'm a loser, but I wanted to watch a romance."

I smiled, "I don't think that's bad, in fact, I find that kind of sweet."

"Well, thank you."

We got into the theatre and spied the drinks he was holding and asked, "Can we stay close to the exit? I might have to make a run for the bathroom."

"No problem." 

 Sadly some chatty girls sat in front us and started flirting with Matthew even after the movie started! I shushed them several times, but they refused to listen. I spied their drinks and created small whirlpools in them, making them grow steadily larger, before the lids popped off and they spilled all over them. The girls ran from the theatre and didn't come back until the movie was nearly over and by that time, Matthew had started holding my hand and I bit my lip trying to not show how ecstatic I was.

However, the girls weren't done and as soon as Matt and I were about to walk out of the theatre the girls came up behind me and poured whatever was left of their drinks all over me. I gasped and took off to find a bathroom or secluded room, counting down the seconds.

Thankfully, I found a single family bathroom and was able to lock the door before flopping down. I groaned, "Great, just perfect."

I crawled over to the toilet paper dispenser and began to dry off when Matthew knocked on the door, "Maddie? Maddie are you in there?"

"Yeah, Matt, I'm ok."

"I'm sorry about that, I already told those girls that I wasn't interested, but they still did that to you."

I smiled, "You don't have to apologize, how could you have known they would do that to me? And don't you dare beat yourself up, I promise you that I had a great time."

"Really?" he asked and my tail finally disappeared

I opened the door and stepped out, looking into his eyes, "Yes, you picked the perfect movie and it honestly wasn't that bad that I got a little wet. I took a pill this morning and made sure to put on my water repellent skin cream." I took his hand and led him out of the theatre, "Let's go get some sundaes, my treat."

All in all I had the perfect day with Matthew and he even walked me home! "I guess I'll see you around, Matt."

"Yeah, see ya around and have a good night."

I opened my front door and called back to him, "I will, you have a good night too and thanks again for today."

"No problem, we should hang out like that more often."

"Definitely! Bye Matthew!"

"Night, Madeleine!"

I practically skipped up to my room and took off my necklace. I opened it and let the gold pearl fall into my hand, knowing that it was the perfect good luck charm. I put it back in and hung my necklace up on the octopus necklace stand I had bought when Rikki got scammed by that fishing guy.

I went to sleep smiling that night, dreaming of swimming, pearls and a certain dark haired boy with beautiful eyes.